Best white emulsion?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 27, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

What's the best white emulsion for ceilings? Wanting a vinyl matt.

Tried the Valspar one hideous stuff started cracking and flaking even at £40 a 10 lts tub.
    Tried the Leyland stuff was not impressed.

Also Dulex retail 10 lts stuff can be ok sometimes, sometimes can be a bit body less and no covering power.

So which is the best 10 lts white emulsion...

It's easier for me to buy from Screwfix or one of the sheds B and Q , Wickes, Toolstation etc

Thanks

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Leyland Trade Super Leytex is certainly better than many of the alternatives

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Trade Pure Brilliant White Matt 10 litre, Wickes £50. Thin it 10 -15% that gives you another 1 to 1.5 litres more and still covers exceptionally well, recently painted my daughters property all through with Brewers Albany Durable Brilliant White Matt, an incredible white which best described as makes other whites look grey. For ceilings Crown Trade Covermatt Obliterating Emulsion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

You still rate the Dulux stuff Astramax?

I heard they changed the formula a while back and ruined it, but maybe that was just the retail stuff

5. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would recommend Dulux Trade Super or
    Ultra Matt

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I never use retail although cost can be a consideration with some customers who have a strict budget.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

When you buy a white emulsion always check before paying that you have the correct shade of white as Dulux comes in quite a variety of white matt, White, Brilliant White, Pure Brilliant White and so on.

8. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Astra, in your opinion, why do you think it’s hard to get a nice even finish when using white emulsion

9. jay123

jay123 Member

I was just going to say this. Im not a painter by trade but decorated a few times and i know this has tripped a few people up. Think actually screwfix only sold white of a paint i wanted but b&q sold it in brilliant white

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good question, Artex ceilings and textured wallpaper...no problem ;), walls and flat ceilings could be shadows caused from the shallowest of plastering imperfections, surface absorbency, consistency of paint mix, I do find a well loaded roller helps and not to overspread the emulsion keep a good wet edge, white matt vinyl can be challenging due the the slight sheen. I find Dulux paint flows better and glides over a surface where other emulsions can and do require more effort, as mentioned in another post I used Brewers Durable Brilliant White Matt throughout my daughters property without any problems and the same paint throughout in a 3 bed detached again no problem, the roller used was an Ice Fusion, the only downside being cleaning the rollers after but was very happy with the finish.:)

What's your thoughts as to the reason?

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I prime all my white ceilings so every time I get the same application. If ceiling is dry and sucks the paint applied it can cause problems especially if it's a durable matt like the valspar. 15 inch plus roller helps.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you priming with the acrylic primer @Wayners

13. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I swear by Leyland....cheap and does the job...

I've given up with expensive paints because im **** at painting....I put white on...when it gets marked I buy some more white....

You need sunglasses in my house when I turn the down lights on

14. Alan_C

Alan_C New Member

Historically I have consistently used the ordinary retail Dulux PB White Matt emulsion & just accepted I have to apply at least two coats, ocassionally three depending on what I was covering. The finish was always acceptable because I didn't know any different.
    Blissfully ignorant.

This week I decided to try the Dulux Trade white emulsion. And I'm glad I did. What a difference. Sure it's more expensive. Cira £48 for a 10 L tub. Currently on offer at a similar outlet to Screwfix for £34.98 inc VAT.
    Whilst it's more expensive. It covers better (only took one coat rather than the std two) so saves time both in application & cleaning rollers ect.. The finish looks bette because it's thicker it hides small wall surface blemishes too giving a better overall even look.

I initially used it (roller) straight out the tub but found it a bit thick (compared to the retail product) to use. I watered it down, as per the data sheet. (up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint) it was a lo easier to use & remained workable longer (had more time to over roller the same area getting a perfect even finish) when on the wall.

I am converted. It's trade product from now on.

Also, buy quality rollers & brushes they make a really improvement to the finish. Again whilst more expensive if you look after them they will last.

Let us know your decision & outcome.

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@Astramax

Re. Primer.
    Acrylic primer over plaster and I thin 20% get the fan on

If contract matt I seal with beeline sealer 3.5ish -1. Get the fan on for 45 mins then roll 15" or bigger white dove.

I don't thin top coats.