Best wood filler

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kelfish, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Kelfish

Kelfish New Member

I am after some advice from experienced wood workers/joiners.

I have just bought an older house and had the floors sanded. The problem I have is that there are gaps beneath the skirting boards which are painted white (and will be painted white after the job is done).

I want to fill the gaps between the skirtings and the floorboards. Some gaps are quite small but others are as much as about 10 or 12mm. Some of the gaps will be quite deep (well as deep as the skirtings which are around 20mm deep).

I am looking for a wood filler that is easy to work with, easy to sand, is flexible and will not shrink. I want to get it right so I don't mind paying a bit extra on this one off job to get it right and dont want to damage the wood floor when applying and sanding (so easily wiped while wet would help!). Also I don't necessarily need a quick drying filler as I would prefer to let it set and then paint rather than rush it.

I have read some reviews including Toupret wood filler and Ronseal but the reviews are mixed and dont seem to give me what I am looking for

Any experienced tradesman like to give their opinion.

Thank you in advance.

2. I'm not an experienced tradesman, probably a more moderately experienced DIY'er. What I can tell you is I find the two pack wood filler (Ronseal type) a pain to work with. Sets too quickly and hard to rub down. The best thing about it is its really solid once dry.

The Tourpret filler on the other hand I think is excellent. Super easy to mix up, much longer working time, super easy to sand. Its consistency is very much like their excellent TX110 wall filler. Had some oak to fill recently, and I've normally used OSMO wood filler for this job. The OSMO stuff is more solid, have to add some water to mix it up. In comparison, the Tourpret is easier to work with/sand down and looks identical to the OSMO stuff. I'm really not going to bother with any other wood filler in the future.

If you hadn't guessed, I like the Toupret wood filler.

3. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Why fill the gap between skirting and floorboard? Surely you need a gap for movement etc?

4. Jiml86

Jiml86 Active Member

Filler isn’t a good product for this job as generally there will be movement in the floor and the filler will crack. There is a product specifically for between floor and skirting which is over paintable and stays flexible.

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

You could opt for beading instead to cover the gaps, it will still allow for movement of the wood also.

koolpc and Jiml86 like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Expanding foam. ;)

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Traditional wood fillers, be they ready mixed, powdered or 2 part fillers are the wrong choice here as there’s gonna be some flex from the floor

Acrylic frame sealant is what you need here and fulfils all your requirements;

Easy to work with / required no sanding / remains flexible / does shrink back a little but apply in stages / wipe over to smooth with damp sponge and/or silicone profile tool / overpaintable

Don’t need to fill full depth of skirt but you don’t want a whisper thin smear at the front as this lacks any strength

20 mm gaps I would pack with wood slivers and glue and tap them in, allow glue to dry then frame sealant

Apply in a couple of layers, allowing first to dry and really pump it into gaps so you get a solid backing of sealant

Then apply 2nd hit. Use a silicone profile tool set and either go for a bead (like between worktop and splashback in kitchen) or finish flush and invisible with skirting

Wipe away excess with soapy water and a moist sponge

Allow plenty of drying time, several days or a week as it’s gonna be deep in places, then ready to paint

Others will disagree with this method but such is life ! (Several certainly did last time I suggested the same)

I’ve used this exact method and it worked brilliantly, can’t post any photos as not my house and didn’t take any

Acrylic Frame Sealant - that’s it :)

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He can't sand down acrylic frame sealant which was one of the op's requirements. Totally the wrong product for such a large gap.

9. Jiml86

Jiml86 Active Member

I don’t think it was a requirement as such. If he was using filler some sanding would generally be needed to get smooth and flush.
    He could do any sanding to get the skirting right first, then apply sealant, get smooth and paint.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[QUOTE="Kelfish, post: 1900295, member: 214898"I am looking for a wood filler that is easy to work with, easy to sand is flexible and will not shrink.
    Any experienced tradesman like to give their opinion.
    Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

10 - 12mm of acrylic snot will look a right mess..:eek: ..have you no pride :confused:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

10 - 12mm of acrylic snot will look a right mess..:eek: ..have you no pride :confused:[/QUOTE]

Astra
    You’ve either totally misunderstood my recommendation, not fully read it, or as you frequently do, picked holes in my advice for some reason ?

Wood filler is the wrong product as will crack due to floor flexing

Acrylic sealant won’t require sanding

It’s flexible and once fully filled (in layers I suggested) it won’t shrink

I suggested filling the 12mm gaps with wood slivers and glue

Then finish sealant flush with skirting using silicone profile tools

Allow to fully dry then paint skirtings down to floor

The idea is you won’t see the sealant, you won’t know it’s there, the skirting will be tight and flush to floor

As to having no pride, who is that aimed at ?

It’s all about finding a method that works, be that text book method or not, it’s the end result that matters

I’ve got no control over the OPs skill level so can’t predict the outcome but, acrylic sealant is easier to use than silicone, easier to clean up and get a neat, invisible fill

Was your expanding foam suggestion serious ? Can’t tell with that emoji ?

12. Jiml86

Jiml86 Active Member

10 - 12mm of acrylic snot will look a right mess..:eek: ..have you no pride :confused:[/QUOTE]
    Yes easy to sand if required, if you don’t use filler there won’t be a need to sand! The O.P is hardly a sanding fanatic or will they only use products that require sanding?

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He obviously wants a nice square edge not a snot diy bodge........kids today :rolleyes:

14. Kelfish

Kelfish New Member

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for causing the problems!

Perhaps I have asked the wrong question.

What I am looking for is the best solution not necessarily the best wood filler for the job.

I have asked a few people I know (general DIYers and decorators) and have looked online.

The responses I have been given or found are :-

Caulk (obviously a non starter)

Silicone (not paintable)

Bond it saves nails (I found this online and is a white adhesive/gap filler a little like a cross between Gripfill and caulk). I have tried this on a small area where there is a small gap and it has worked to a reasonable degree and would probably be my go to it I dont find anything better.

Wood filler

and car body filler (I am told it will not shrink and will be flexible)

From these I would prefer to use wood filler as it appears relatively easy to work with and, depending on the brand) is sandable to some degree.

Any input whatsoever on what to use would be most appreciated (type of filler and brand would be a great help).

Thank you again in advance.

15. Jiml86

Jiml86 Active Member

I think it won’t matter what filler you use, it will crack. My go to filler is Ronseal two part but I wouldn’t dream of using it for your job

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you really want a Rolls Royce job that is way above the DIY market, research ' Repair Care Dry Flex.

jimbobby likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'll offer an opinion of covering the gap like I-man suggested but depending on the style and detail of your skirting I would rip down 4mm MDF into strips and glue and pin them on the face of the skirting but set below the profile detail at the top so it appears like a thin built up skirting detail. I.e. Pin them to the square flat part of your skirting board, not the bit at the top. This will then cover any gaps underneath.

By the time you mess about with whatever filler, sealant or toothpaste you opt for, this method will be just as quick as no drying out time or layers are needed.

WillyEckerslike and CGN like this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ll pitch in.

take skirtings off, scribe to floor et voila. May need some new deeper skirting though. Jord has offered a good compromise.

Filling could look very messy and probably won’t last.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Will the op have the ability to scribe the mdf to the floor boards where the discrepancies are ?

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get fitted carpet.......problem solved.