Best wood for bath Frame

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Tea or Coffee, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Tea or Coffee

Tea or Coffee New Member

Hi

I am changing my bath and do not want to solely trust the flimsy bath legs that have come with it.

Seen some very sturdy frames being built to assist the legs.

What is the size and type of timber frames best for this job please?.

Is it a softwood? Whats the proper terminology for it?

Many thanks

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Legs supplied with bath should be more than sufficient to hold the weight, normally brackets are supplied to attach bath to wall on back/sides, at least they were with my bath. Can use standard 2x1 timbers screwed into walls underneath bath for additional support and to which attach other timbers and ply (18mm) or hardie backer board for tiling.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have fitted baths for use by peeps weighing over 20 stone plus, & those flimsy bath legs have supported the bath without problems for years, only thing I do recommend, is some additional bearers on the floor for the feet to sit on,to spread load,18mm ply, even 4x2 might be wide enough.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I find slippers are more comfortable for feet to sit on :p

KIAB likes this.
  5. Tea or Coffee

Tea or Coffee New Member

Ok nice one. The kit looked a bit flim flammy to me lol

6. Tea or Coffee

Tea or Coffee New Member

Righty o will do that thanks

7. Tea or Coffee

Tea or Coffee New Member

Do you think fluffy pom poms is going over the top ot should I choose a cat motif slippers? ;)

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The main thing is to get as much under the legs as you can. That way there is less waggle room and more stability. You can get bearers from any decent timber yard for free. These are used for loaded pallets to sit on.