Better ways to rest wooden joists into stone wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by novice_builder123, Jun 17, 2022.

1. novice_builder123

novice_builder123 New Member

I am about to rip out old wooden joists that are in a stone cottage. They done the job well and I am sure when they were done back in the day that was a good job.

However I am keen to see if there is a better way to do this or some sort of standard. (Although I am realising that in a renovation there is no standard way of doing things)

Here is a picture of the joists, you can see they are painted in bitumin and packed with bits of rubble to make them secure.

IMG_20220616_141759-min.jpg

Do I just replicate the same way and maybe fill with cement, any ideas?

They are solid and do not wiggle, however the engineer specified 8 x 2 joists instead of these 6 x 2s

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Strengthen existing, rather than go to all the hassle?

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

They look in really good shape and if they're any age they'll be better timber than you can buy today.

What span do you have? Needs to be checked but if they were sistered with more 6x2s while they would still be weaker than 8x2s, they would be ok to about 4m. Are the current joists deforming badly under load?

If you sistered you wouldn't need to cut the new joist into the wall merely s[lice them in between wall faces.

4. novice_builder123

novice_builder123 New Member

Span is 4 metres and I've already got the new 8x2s onsite, they are spaced around 500mm.

Some of the wood not in this photo has dry rot at the ends

5. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Remove joists whats there seated in the pockets. All of them.
    Clean out the pockets.
    Then chip out enough to accept the 8x2's.
    Cap the tails in DPC material.
    Install one joist at one end of the run, and another joist at the far end of the run - they must be set at the same level.
    String lines across from joist to joist, and set the other 8x2's to the lines.
    Be aware that the stair landing or any door threshold must also be level with the new floor.

If you post photos of the "dry rot" it will help?

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you have got dry rot you need to be careful as the spores can be very hard to get rid of