BG USB sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by retiredsparks, May 9, 2018.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Any good..or avoid like plague ?
    or any other recommendations...
    Crabtree, schneider Mk are all about 20 quid each.
    Rs

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I bought 3 a few weeks ago, just needed standard white faceplates with USB, nothing fancy

Ordered them from Amazon Prime, the listing stated ‘guaranteed for 30 years’

Seems a long time to guarantee a socket for ..... not the actual socket as not much to go wrong but the charging facility. Is the seller telling the truth here I wondered

Have had a few of these sockets that refuse to charge after a few years (various makes)

So I emailed BG for confirmation of this 30 years as no mention of any guarantee period on socket or packaging itself. Also to ask what was actually covered for this period - the socket itself and usb charging ?

After sending 2 emails but getting no reply, I called their customer services / tech department. They did indeed confirm that the complete socket was covered for 30 years (which to me seems rather amazing)

I mentioned that no guarantee details appear on the packaging or install instructions and perhaps that should add this detail - surely would be a great selling point

Person I spoke to seemed less than interested in my suggestion

I also asked if they could email me a confirmation of this 30 year guarantee so I have something on paper - still waiting

All I can say is mine are working after 3/4 weeks (still under guarantee for another 1,556 weeks so I can relax a little) :)

retiredsparks likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Ive got a BG one in my mancave, it work a treat, not only charging phone but a bluetooth speaker together without any drop in charging rate.
    Got my from TS.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Using an Avantree Powerhouse here for my USB charging needs, 4 outputs each around 2 amps.

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I'm not into stuff like that, but Docs one does look like a nice unit

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Better than what I saw other day, a unpowered usb hub plugged to usb faceplate to charge several items at same time.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Right..dunno about all that stuff Mr K, I just use the plug in chargers which come with phones and use them. Spose one day I might buy a socket with usb outputs..seems a handy facility tbqh.

11. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I have bought a number, some 2.1A a pair, some 3.1A a pair and some 4.2A with 4 outlets so still 2.1A a pair.

I was getting variable results, the problem is the charge point, the lead and the device can all cause the charge rate to drop, so I bought a USB volt and Ammeter, I found cheap PoundWorld leads only charge at 0.4 amp it does not matter what outlet, more expensive leads with Samsung tablet and phone will charge at around 1.2 amp when device half charged, connecting two devices to same outlet around 1.8 amp so not the outlet limiting charge rate but the device being charged.

Wife has new Samsung phone with connector which can be plugged in either way around, now that charges at 1.6 amp.

Ammeter [​IMG] similar to shown. From the computer every device seems to charge at 0.40 amp. For plug in devices which this will plug into found 0.40 amp seems lowest and 1.8 amp highest output recorded to date.

I have found some odd things, a USB extension lead made phone show charging, but ammeter showed no output, a double AA battery charger showed just 0.02 amp charge rate.

Big advantage is once phone is charged you see charge rate drop from your chair so you know without looking at phone when it is fully charged.

However as far as USB outlets on 13A sockets go, every one fitted be it rated 2.1 amp a pair or 3.1 amp a pair gives near enough the same output into a Samsung device. And cheap PoundWorld leads OK into PC but reduces output with wall socket.

All I have fitted are LAP, LG or BG and all give the same results. Have installed 8 between two houses and a caravan all seem the same.

Cig lighter chargers very different story, quite a lot only give out 0.4 amp.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

I also have one like this in the shack, more portable for travelling.

[​IMG]

13. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I fitted 2 in the our kitchen 3 years ago. Had to swap the back boxes to allow the sockets to fit. Personally.. Just buy Anker 4 port charger and save yourself the hassle and potential problems if any

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Like most electrical things Wayners, they tend to shrink over time !

The BG 2G USB skt will fit into a standard 25mm back box, even with 2x2.5s entering the box

Probably a squeeze if a spur has been added, or excessive cable length in box

Can’t speak for all makes but few I’ve fitted last couple years have defanatly slimmed down

This isn’t the slimline range though, standard raised white faceplate. As I’m sure you know, fitting some of these slimline sockets can be a squeeze in a 25mm box, without usb

This may be useful to you ?

Wayners likes this.
  15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Very useful info MGW

16. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Why would anyone want a USB socket when you can buy this.. Jmo... See here im saying that when I have 2 usb sockets fitted and I can't understand why I bothered