bidet water regulations

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by plumb mad, May 7, 2009.

1. plumb mad

plumb mad New Member

can any one tell me what the regs are concerning bidets or were to find the regs thanks

2. Saint Standalone

Saint Standalone New Member

Water Regs Guide ISBN 0-9539708-08-09 2ND edition clauses g15.11,g15.9,g15.13 & g15.10

Another great pontypost! ;) stand and deliver!

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

Separate water supply IIRC. So usually separate small gravity fed tank for cold and hot, or air gap (but difficult to implement the air gap any other way).

I've installed urinals which have had backflow devices fitted to a standard distribution pipe, but I think these have to be approved by WRAS on a product by product basis.

There are relaxed rules if there isn't a flexible hose or ascending spray. Otherwise you need to be inventive

4. rome60

rome60 New Member

Not 100per cent sure but Bidets with the douche ie-Spray are not allowed to be installed anymore.Provided the Bidet taps are overim fitted mains cold & combined hot supply is ok,but must be fitted with check valves.Also the waste must go direct to a soil stack,never to a hopper head,which i have often seen done over the years.

5. imran_

imran_ New Member

Nonsense - bidets ARE ALLOWED and need to be notified.

Hoppers have been outlawed for years IIRC. Checkvalves are not suitabe as an air gap is required.

I would try the following:
    - hot and cold water on blending valve to provide waer at right temp,then a solenoid so the pipe can be opened / closed. Fit a pipe interruptor next ans d you should be ok.

WRAS might consider that acceptable.

6. mantor

mantor New Member

You're both sort of right I reckon.
    If I remember right you can have double check valves on the over rim type as there is already an air gap. But as Imran says the ascending spray type need a break tank with ballvalve.

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

Steady on Imran trying to fit all that on supplies to the bidet,makes you sound like Walter.:D

I think you are mixed up regarding the air gap that is achieved by having taps fixed over the rim on the bidet.
    The Bidets i refer to not allowed where the underim & spray hot & cold supplies.Also canyou name a Bidet which i have just described which you can install to todays regs.

8. tightenit

tightenit New Member

You could always wash your feet in the basin if you can get your leg high enough.

9. GKU

GKU New Member

"If I remember right you can have double check valves on the over rim type as there is already an air gap. But as Imran says the ascending spray type need a break tank with ballvalve."

;)

10. rome60

rome60 New Member

I am still sure the bidets with sprays are"nt allowed.Cannot find any in the sanitaryware blue book.

11. GKU

GKU New Member

Can't find anything in the Regs to say they're not allowed , mantor was correct in saying they need a breaktank

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

From WRAS:
    3 Advanced Notification

In most cases, before any proposed installation starts, the installer, owner or occupier must obtain the water supplier’s consent by giving advanced notice of the work. This applies to water system installations in connection with any of the following:

• The installation of:
    - A bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose;#

If it were me I'd fit a TMV with solenoid operated output at press of switch located at bidet, with an air gap into a v. small break tank and then to bidet. Least amount of water stored when not in use (i.e. none)

13. Its Only Me...

Its Only Me... New Member

If over the top taps there should be enough of a airgap, I thinh its a AUK03 without looking in my texbooks, but if i am wrong someone will put me rite??..If in doubt put double check valves on the H&C feed and you wont go far wrong, its only to stop dirty water getting back into the clean supply.

14. rome60

rome60 New Member

Imran,this is a friendly discussion & i know how to pipe up Bidets be it overrim or under rim(which i am sure are not allowed.My point is that a Bidet with the spray must be connected to a three hole mixer to enable temperature control on the spray & taps.With these taps even with check valves on H/C supplies it is possible for contamination to happen vie the spray dome being submermerged & possible syphonage back into the tap body.The can never happen when overrim pillar taps are used.:)

Can you name a Bidet with douche spray to use in this country,just as a matter of interest.:)

15. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O My missus uses a garden hose :^O

16. imran_

imran_ New Member

I'm pleased to say I'm not a bidet expert, but if I were to install one I'd be getting an "uphill spray" and a flexible hose. How are you supposed to wash the dog otherwise????

The regs are the same as kitchen sinks with flex hoses that can extend into the water, but then no-one bothers about the regs there anyway. I'm not sure what the real risk of back siphonage is, but I can imagine potential fluctuations at 7am with a small water main.

17. multitradeplumber

multitradeplumber New Member

your right the old bottom spray type are no longer legal

18. rome60

rome60 New Member

I was 90 per cent sure they were not allowed,thanks

19. imran_

imran_ New Member

Since when??? And where is it documented - if not in building regs or WRAS.....??

I'm seriously interested because a lot of decent kit (Leeroy does a load of 'em) are ascending spray and what people want.

??????

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member