BiFold Door locks ? is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jules, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules New Member

Hi,
    I am coming to the end of a self build project, all is going well except for a bifold door i fitted on a downstairs toilet.
    How do you fit a lock that a) works and b) can be opened from the other side if the need arises ??
    Anyone got any ideas ?
    (p.s door is very thin so will have to be surface mount i think ?

2. eyetry

eyetry New Member

One or two thumb turns with External By pass or release buttons fixed top & bottom.

Screwfix do the release button type [example Quote 17949]

Failing that, prop the door with your foot and cough alot.

Only a guess....

3. WOLF

WOLF New Member

you can install a thumb turn type lock on the top corner(nearest the centre hinges) of the NON hinge/frame side door...as it will hold the centre(the live part) closed when engaged....sfx do one..page 137 item d15558-72 it has an external emergency "coin turn" release...
    hope helpfull

4. Jules

Jules New Member

Eyetry & Wolf thanks very much for the suggestions.
    I have had similar thoughts myself about using rack bolts / thumbturns but to be honest i think it will look a bit "bodgy" with a lock top and bottom of the door.
    Has nobody else designed a lock for this purpose ?
    Am i the only one who has come across this problem !
    Any suggestions of other companies to contact for advice ?

5. Abe

Abe New Member

A sliding door lock would be the best option, try:

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Sliding_Door_Locks.html

If you go for a Euro cylinder one, then you can use a cylinder with thumbturn on the inside and key hole for emergencies on the outside. You may need to thicken the door locally for mounting the lock, as they all seem to be mortice fittings.

6. RH

RH New Member

I was thinking about locks for bifold doors myself and came up with the idea of mounting a flush bolt (quote 18988) on the face of the door. Unfortunatley I never had the chance to try it as it would have involved drilling holes in a laminate floor and that didn't go down too well! ;)

It would only be accessable from one side though.