Bindweed!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jitender, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ok

So I'm trying to get rid of bindweed.

I know that if digging out the roots, any small pieces will regenerate into new plants.

Is this the saw if cutting the stems above ground, or will they just decompose.

This stuff really is nightmare, as I was thought I was very thorough digging out the roots, but every few days new plants start appearing.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even the smallest rhizome will root above ground, need to spray the bineweed with a good Glyphosate weedkiller,slow working, but, it kills rip to tip of root.
    Might get away with just one spraying ,but sometimes you will need a second.

Look at GALLUP BIOGRADE 360,Roundup Pro Biactive 360 (not used this one), GALLUP XL should be able to find them on Ebay.

Jitender likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The stuff I'm digging out are roots that look degraded, but new shoots coming off this.

It just shows a year later how resilient this weed is.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bindweed is very resilient, like Horsestail,roots can go down as far as 7'-8'.

Been spraying bindweed here with Rosate 36 (discontinuned now), hard work, it's had a second spraying two weeks ago,all very dead now,fingers crossed it won't be coming back.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It just seems to keep coming.:(

Problem with my place is garden is next to public footpath, and then a farmers field used for grazing. and its all dotted along here.

Looks like this is going to be a full time job.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I purchased the 5L of Rosate 360 TF last year, so use this.

Think it is best to keep spraying, rather than digging. Unless digging is thorough going to come up again.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Keep at it, it will eventually get all the way down.

One way I was told was to get a good strong solution - not much required and wear double latex/rubber/similar gloves. Place gloved hand in solution, then run your hand up the stem which will result in good coverage of stem and leaves both top and bottom.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spraying, it's the only way to get rid of it,like my Rosate 36, Rosate 360 is slow acting, but it's thorough in getting to the tip of the roots & killing the weed.
    Killed about 90% of bindweed now, just one patch to spray again.

Also spraying in the early evening is more effective than rest of the day.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I bought the wrong one, as does seem slow acting. Not worth digging as too much work.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think Rosate 360 is sucessor to Rosate 36, it can take about two weeks before you see any sign of dying weeds.

Digging will spread the bindweed.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seems I have to be more patient, does work just taking time.

May take a few years to get rid, as area never been maintained.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Bindweed seems to be the only thing flourishing during this dry spell, as well as brambles.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can give you some nettles,another spraying job.:(

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Most of what I have cleared is on a public foot path, farm isn't interested as the bramble provide a deterrent from people wanting to climb over as well as spreading litter into fields with horses etc. Unfortunately there isn't many people around here who appreciate the view. Just litter picked and came across two syringes, as well as black bag of rubbish. You could dig a section and find a layer upon layer of litter accumulated over the years. Youths around here have no respect, littering, as did a litter pick along a section of the path, and a few days later more has been thrown :mad:

I have only concentrate on my stretch, as cant offer to do the whole lot, council won't do it. People appreciate being able to have the walk but aren't prepared to put any of their time, so really respect those people who give up their own time doing things like this.

In a couple of season the route I haven't cleared will be overgrow, and people wont be able to get down here as not put any effort in.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a picture further down the path. Path seems to be a dumping ground, all the soil has been fly tipped by people living over the fence as saw the do it.

upload_2018-8-8_20-13-31.png

I will try and get some more pictures of the area I have cleared. Bramble at this area is at fence height.