Birch plywood finish

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Anthonyis, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Anthonyis

Anthonyis New Member

I am unable to find out what finish my kitchen doors are. All I know if that they are a Matt lacquer.

However they have a bit of a film on them and they have gone ever so slightly yellow/warmer with the lacquer. No where near as much as when a new bit of birch is wet.

I am trying to make my own built in seating area bit I need to replicate the same finish.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

An acrylic lacquer will not yellow with age as would be the case using an oil lacquer, do not forget the birch will yellow with age over a period of time. A test piece is the best way forward to achieve your goal. Cellulose sanding sealer will seal the surface, is clear and can be sanded to a very smooth finish prior to dusting off with a tack cloth then spray on acrylc lacquer, or just play around to see how the lacquer performs on its own.

Plasti-Kote manufacture an acrylic clear aerosol lacquer that will not fade or yellow.