Bird boxes

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tomthebuilder, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Hi. As spring is slowly arriving I'm thinking of making some bird boxes for the people in my locality and on Facebook. My question is. Would it be ok to make the bird boxes out of treated timber eg 4x1 or 6x1 or should I make them out of untreated timber as I've seen on the net that it may harm the birds?

Any advice would be appreciated
    Many thanks Tom️

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Tomthebuilder likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Made dozens of bird boxes over the years mainly out of exterior ply, have found that birds do not like treated timber boxes, raw (untreated)wood which will last for several years with no problems.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Thank you kiab. And astramax. I suppose I could make loads out of a sheet of ext ply glue them and nail them together

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Make the roof removable for access to clean out.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

7. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Yes I know sospan but I'm also going to make planters and window boxes just for a bit of extra money and something I enjoy doing in the lighter nights ahead. I've already got 2 boxes to make on the weekend

8. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Yes 2 or 3 screws in the roof or the front was what I had in mind

Astramax likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just had a look, this one stood out as being really cheap for all the detail.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/garden-bazaar-prairie-farmhouse-bird-house-30-x-25-x-36cm-148913

Somebody gave it a 1* rated, saying its poor quality, look at the price!!!, what did they expect, Buckingham Palace. :p:p:p:p:p

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Remember to put a link to this website in the bird box so that the bird can visit this site in case he needs to fix something! :p

11. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Haha

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have seen them in store, they are quite good quality and robust. It is one of those things looks like a good idea to make then when you price them up in terms of labour and materials and the number sold per week, doesn't add up to much and the low end is only £8 and easily available

upload_2017-3-2_18-56-32.png

Astramax likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That Waitrose site has some nice items and cheap - This planter is £24.99.

upload_2017-3-2_19-7-6.png

14. Tomthebuilder

Tomthebuilder New Member

Looks a bit old fashioned to me. And a tad expensive.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

More a labour of love than a money spinner ;)

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Unlike DA, who's a lover of Labour. :D:D:D

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

so he's the one - knew there was someone, somewhere ;)

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I may have house sparrow nesting in front porch, made some repairs to slates. The gap between the verge board and under slate wasn't filled in at the time as was planning on re-tiling using natural slate. Have seen a sparrow on a number of times going into the void which is about and inch deep.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Could be a *** a lot of them about recently

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does it come with the plants?