Bird nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by drillerdiy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. drillerdiy

drillerdiy New Member

I have made a couple of bird nesting boxes, I want to know where they should be placed? facing which way East etc ? I am wanting blue **** and robins in the boxes.

2. Bandoid

Bandoid New Member

What sort of air rifle will you be using?

3. don reed

don reed New Member

If you place the boxes facing east you will attract christian birds,if you wish to attract muslim birds then obviously the boxes will have to face Mecca

AMAZING! but true(ish).

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I am wanting blue **** and robins in the boxes.

Thank you for giving me my daily chuckle. I don't mind being suckered into this silly thread.....

Your English robin won't tolerate any other bird on his manor - and least of all, the blue ***. He will fight the *** to its death.

Your robin, given the choice, would prefer an open-fronted box secreted in shrubbery (at any height) or similar cover, whereas your *** requires a deep box with a narrow entrance no greater than 1 1/4" diameter with a Nor'Nor'-East orientation.

So make up your mind: you're either a *** man or a redbreast man - you can't be both.....

Lucia.

5. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

6. Bandoid

Bandoid New Member

I have a peculiar hobby - lying on the lawn, legs apart.

7. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I tried that on a recent trip to Tel Aviv and ended up with a heavy dew upon me......

fiction

Lucia

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Reminds me off the time I made a blue *** nest box. It was a hollowed out log with a small hole in the front and a little pitched roof on the top. Looked just the job for a blue ***. :) I felt a right ***.

9. Mr GrimNasty

I thought you were going to say they sub-let it to some itinerant great ****.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I mounted it on our cherry blossom tree.....

Filthy beast!

x

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A lovely turn of phrase don't you think :) Mounted...

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be interesting to see who has got the biggest **** in their garden.

14. Bandoid

Bandoid New Member

"I was just thinking."

Innit.

15. drillerdiy

drillerdiy New Member

I have learnt a lot about **** and red breasts, thanx, one more question,,,do I need bigger nest boxes for bigger ****?

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes indeed. Great **** (Parus Major) require bigger boxes. Blue **** (Cyanistes caeruleus) relatively small.

17. Mr GrimNasty

It's funny how they perk up as the weather gets colder.

18. don reed

don reed New Member

I agree,especialy coal **** (Periparus ater) ,become quite pert at this time of year.

19. Yeah, I saw some yesterday. They were like coat pegs.

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Those would be 'peckers. :)