Bit difficult to explain but will have a go!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 30, 2019.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Im fitting a electric TV lift that will lift my TV into the ceiling when not in use.

I then realized that the area where my TV will rise into is on the hip end of my extension. There is enough room

Its a single story extension with pitch roof that I built 20 years ago!

The main roof structure was pre made trusses but the hip end I made out of timber before tiling.

The extension is 3000mm wide and when ive cut the slot in the ceiling plasterboard for the TV to disappear into Ive hit three ceiling joists!

There are only 5 ceiling joists running at 90 degrees to the last main trusses. They are 1200mm max long and fix to the last main truss and then fix to the common rafters near the wall plate.

Is their only purpose to support the ceiling? Or is there a structural element?

How can I remove three of them so my TV lift will fit?

thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Can you access the roof space?

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Yes... but with the width of the extension only been 3000mm its very tight at the hip end.

Ive cut a 1500mm x 300mm piece of plaster board out so i can get a good look at it all

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then post a couple of pics so we can have a good look at it all too.

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks will take some in daylight tomorrow

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Any chance you could make your TV lift swivel 90 degrees before lifting so you could get it between the joists?

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi no its a fixed up and down lift

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

This is the extension

20190531_212554_resized.jpg

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

This is inside at the very end of the hip roof, ive cut a 300mm strip of plasterboard out and was greated by the ceiling rafters

20190531_191014_resized.jpg

10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I would like to remove 300mm of the ceiling rafter so its a clear space

20190531_191023_resized.jpg

11. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

12. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I want to remove the 3 central ones and leave the 2 outside ones.

I can frame the opening out with 4 x 2 as you would in a loft hatch opening and put 4 x 2 timber uprights to the sloping common rafters to take the weight of the ceiling.

They are only 1200mm long and join onto the main truss roofing at 90 degrees ( if i cut them, they will be only 500mm long

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

It would be no problem for the common rafters taking the weight as they would be only 600mm long ceiling pieces each side of the cut piece.

My only concern is do they give and lateral horizontal support to stop the common rafters pulling horizontal? They are notched and nailed to the wall plate

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They do, but to be honest looking at your photos they probably wouldn’t make much difference. I would raise the joists higher first so they act as collars and coach screw them, then remove what you want to.

15. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply

I need the space fully clear above the slot which needs to be 1500mm x 300mm so not the full width of the room.

So my idea was:

To first screw a piece of temporary 4 x 2 onto the ceiling into the joists (wall side of the cut out) to tie all the ceiling joists together

Then cut the 3 sections out and frame it out with 4 x 2 and fix to each side to the remaining joists (as a loft hatch opening)

Then put in numerous vertical hangers each side of the opening to take the weight of ceiling to the common rafters.

Then remove the temporary 4 x 2 i had screwed to ceiling and refit it onto ceiling tieing all ceiling joists together again but this time next to the new opening. (wall side)
    This will be hidden once the front pelmet is fitted.

Does it sound fine? Thanks

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It sounds about as good as butchering your roof and ceiling can get, I wish you luck ;)

17. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks, the way i look at it it would have more vertical hangers than before.
    As for horizontal lateral pull at present its pulling on the last 4 x 2 pre made truss ceiling joist now it will be pulling on the opening joist, plus it will be braced with another 4 x 2 screwed to the ceiling?

18. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

the ceiling joists are to stop the spread of rafters

19. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Let us know how you get on.

20. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

It went like a dream! I put a lot of timber up there. I doubled the timber around the opening to 4 x 4.

I used 42m of 4 x 2 in the end for a 1750mm x 300mm opening.

I will post some pics when i finish it on Monday. Ive got the ceiling section built and now framing out where the speakers will go and building a frame for the TV lift

ginger tuffs likes this.