Bitumen on brick removal ????

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DaveUK, Nov 4, 2017.

1. DaveUK

DaveUK Member

Hi All.

The previous owner of my property had a wooden car porch connected to the gable end of the property. To make it water tight they used what I think is bitumen. SEE PIC

Does anyone know of a way I can remove the black stuff?? I don't want the bricks chopping out. I want to clean what I can off.

Also what is the best way to get rid of the red paint which can be seen lower down??

Thank you all in advance.

Attached Files:

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

If you try any solvents it is going to worsen the issue as it will bleed further into the bricks, The only solution I've found is to wait until a really frosty morning wjhich makes the bitumen brittle and chip it off with a wide bladed sharp masonry chisel. A really painstaking job. If it doesn't remove enough then crush some pieces of the same housebrick to dust, mix the dust with a little cement and pva and paint it over the remaining bitumen stain and the paint. You have to experiment a bit with the quantity of cement to dust to get the shade right. About the best Ive found you can do without cutting the bricks out.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What type of paint is it.

Sand blasting would certianly clean it all off.

Parrafin is good for softening it, but geninue parrafin seems hard to find today.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017