Bitumen Paint Help

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Almccann, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Almccann

Almccann New Member

Ok so here goes, bare with me.

I had painted an outside storage room concrete floor with bitumen paint. The paint dried and it was fine up until a warm day when it became tacky and stuck to everything. I know, I know, I messed up, I should have known that would happen.

I removed pretty much all of it and repainted the floor with a water based primer but even after a week it was still not even close to being tacky let alone being dry so I removed it again with a rag and spirits.

After some research I found that aluminium paint can seal bitumen so I painted the floor with a tin of rustins aluminium paint yesterday. Checking on it this morning the paint is again wet to the touch in places and tacky in others but in certain areas there is a brown oily substance forming on top of the aluminium paint, I take it this is bitumen bleeding through? I left hardly any bitumen on the floor so I take it this oil is coming up from beneath the concrete surface?

I am at my wits end with this now and cant think of anything else to do.

Why is the paint not drying properly? Has the bitumen paint totally buggered the floor?

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

perhaps the concrete floor is overly damp - thus not allowing the paint to dry - bitumen paint will soften with heat

are you intending or intending to use the painted floor as the finished floor ?

if you are aiming to apply paint to waterproof the floor (and then lay an additional floor on top) a plastic damp proof membrane will suffice

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dmp-membrane-black-1000ga-3-x-4m/50464

3. Almccann

Almccann New Member

I had originally painted the floor with Ronseal garage floor paint and it was fine until it started to lift in places. I then painted over it with the bitumen to try and seal the whole thing with a mind to then paint over it again with more Ronseal.

If I can get whats left of the bitumen sealed (I have scrapped off pretty much all of it but there must be residue within the concrete) then I plan to put down Leyland Heavy Duty floor paint as the final finished surface.

4. Almccann

Almccann New Member

I have a heater running now in the room to see if it helps.

The brown oily residue worries me as I was assured that the aluminium paint would seal it.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if you want a proper floor paint, that won't start flaking and will last ........ use an epoxy based version

6. Almccann

Almccann New Member

Epoxy is chemically dried isn't it? So if the room was slightly damp itwouldn't effect it as much, would that be correct?

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would buy a bit of cheap vinyl lay some DPM down first to stop the bitumen attacking it and leave it at that.

Maybe brush some cement dust over first to make it non tacky to work with.

8. supertosh

supertosh Member

Bitumen never really fully dries - epoxy, or knotting is the only way i know that would kill it sufficiently enough to coat over.

Good luck.

9. Almccann

Almccann New Member

I have been able to remove all the bitumen paint that was on the floor, all that is left now is the liqued oily residue that is now in the surface of the concrete. It only comes to the surface when I try and clean it with white spirites and it turns brown almost instantly.

I have never used knotting but have seen bottles of it in a local hardware shop. How do I apply it? Just pour the liqued on the floor and spread it over the surface?

My final top coat is a single pack epoxy floor paint, I just hope the aluminium paint dries sufficently for me to apply it.

10. supertosh

supertosh Member

Is the Aluminum paint Johnston's oil-base wood primer by any chance?

11. Almccann

Almccann New Member

No, rustins acylic based.

12. supertosh

supertosh Member

Oh right. Acrylic based primer is unlikely to kill the bitumen. Imho, Its going to take an oil base to kill it enough to be laid over without bleeding.. Johnston's Aluminum Oil Base wood primer would quite possibly do the trick.