Black + Decker critics

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dewalt Devotee, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dewalt Devotee

Dewalt Devotee New Member

Why does everyone pull B+D apart? Theres nothing wrong with em.I have both the 18v combi and a 710w corded.Both are totally reliable and good to use.The corded was only £32 from Homebase,and does exactly the same as a £100 Bosch.
    Also why doesnt screwfix stock any of these products?
    Who the hell wants to pay 100s of squids for overpriced tools that dont do any more than the cheaper ones?

2. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

black and decker is prob good for diy,but every day site work or hard use i wouldn't be good enough

3. Dewalt Devotee

I dont see why not.Ive hammered the corded drilling through steel all day and it hasnt flinched.
    My advice to you tradesmen is,save yourself a wad and give Homebase's finest a go!
    De-Walt? Piffle.

4. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

i use impact drivers and b+d dont make one,24v spit hammer with 3ah and b+d dont make one of them either,makita chop off saw and b+d dont make one,i rest my case

5. multijack

multijack Member

B+D.....broken and dusty....at the back of a long forgotten shelf.

6. TimberTech

TimberTech Member

Also unless i am wrong i dont recall ever seeing any 110v black and decker, so you wouldnt even get em out of ya van on any commercial sites.

7. Dewalt Devotee

I get the impression im punching above my weight here...

8. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Guys, Your no longer restricted to 110v on site work anymore. 230vis ok as it has to be rcd protected. Allows our european friends to bring there tools over & work.
    Secondly, I thought Dewalt made Cr@p & decker. In my opinion there as bad as each other.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

As a DIYer I like most others went for B&D and the occasional cheap Challenge stuff. Over the years I've upgraded to dewalt, maily because the 18v B&D batteries fitted so it was an easy and steady migration. The DW stuff is much more powerful and heavier generally but the B&D stuff is fine for DIY, TBH.

The only thing I wouldn't compromise on is the DW jigsaw, it is simply fantastic.

10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

De-Walt? Piffle.

I thought De Walt were the same company as B and D? (or so the "man in the shop" told me!

PTP

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

yep, similar relationship to Audi & Skoda or any number of other brands divided by target sector. Nobody ever moans that Bosch make green & blue tools?

12. sooperman

sooperman New Member

IN MY OPINION MAKITA AND BOSCH ARE THE BEST OUT THERE. WHAT I WILL SAY IS ITS WHAT TOUR USING IT FOR MYSELF I DO ALOT OF DRY LINNING AND THE MAKITS AUTOFEED IS THE TOPS, ALSO LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT HILTI THERE IN A LEAUGUE OF THERE OWN AND YOU WOULD NEVER GET A B+D TO DO THE WORK A HILTI DOES. ANYWAYS STICK TO DIY MATE AS REAL TRADES USE REAL TOOLS.

13. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

sooperman

Re: Black + Decker critics
    Posted: Feb 2, 2009 11:01 AM Reply

IN MY OPINION MAKITA AND BOSCH ARE THE BEST OUT THERE. WHAT I WILL SAY IS ITS WHAT TOUR USING IT FOR MYSELF I DO ALOT OF DRY LINNING AND THE MAKITS AUTOFEED IS THE TOPS, ALSO LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT HILTI THERE IN A LEAUGUE OF THERE OWN AND YOU WOULD NEVER GET A B+D TO DO THE WORK A HILTI DOES. ANYWAYS STICK TO DIY MATE AS REAL TRADES USE REAL TOOLS.

ooooooooh get you :eek:

14. Big Fat Stu

Big Fat Stu New Member

B + D are fine for the DIYer, when i moved into the trade i had an old B+D 18v drill, it as fine when i was doing DIY but i ruined it in a week with onsite work, upgraded to two dewalt 14v and a 18 makita. the dewalt are far superior to the makita no matter what u say! have also used hilti which are a cut above the rest altho to expensive really (things go missing on some sites) and can e heavy if you dont go for the li-ion batterys

15. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

B+D don't do the tools that the trade needs, well not under the B+D name anyway.

I use Dewalt and Makita, and have a Hitachi li ion drill.

I have a 36v dewalt set, only because I managed to get the 36v set, SDS drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw and the torch, £500 plus vat. TBH I wouldn't have bought it for the normal price, I couldn't have justified the expense when I had a good 24v sds and a makita saw.

16. multijack

multijack Member

Trade quality tools for trade work all the way...
    Except....if your drilling old pre-cast concrete panels of the type used in 1960's pre-fabs I swear by a cheap Challenge sds drill cos they have no guts and dont blow huge shells out of the back of the panel like my dewalt does....I dont use it often but it is handy at times. ;)

17. Cornish Crofter

Same is true for soft slate.

The SDs just pulverises it, whereas a cheap percussion drill or just a normal non hammer drill will just cut through it.

18. Big Fat Stu

Big Fat Stu New Member

that is very true, often the beta sds drills blow out the old prefab walls but if you have one with a variable speed trigger only use a slow speed and this will mean it shouldnt blow out as much

19. Cornish Crofter

I have just stopped using an old B and D for mixing adhesive and plaster.

When I say old, I mean really old. It is 1970s era. the only reason I stopped using it is because it is a twin speed with no variable speed and the mixing paddle shakes the chuck to bits, and the paddle falls out!

I rebuilt it using a motor/body from a single speed and the gearbox from the twin speed, so it says it's single speed but then has the twin speed box on the front.

As much as I love it I fear it's going to have to go, as it's now sitting in a corner unloved.

20. Big Fat Stu

Big Fat Stu New Member

strange how we all have a old b and d in the shed, but did you know they were only designed to last 8 hours of use