Black high gloss floor tiles - which colour grout?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Shaun G, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

I have some floor tiles to lay soon, however i am torn on a grout colour.

Everywhere seems to show white and this looks decent, but i am unsure if i will be forever re-grouting due to it getting dirty frequently with it being a heavy traffic area in the kitchen.

I suppose a grey would be the obvious choice, however they don't seem to stand out as well as the white? But i could be fooled by google images as i have not actually seen either of them done in the flesh

Just wondered what input you pro tilers may have had with any similar situations?

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

I’m not a pro-tiler but have laid plenty. Personally I’d go for black or dark grey. Anything lighter, especially white is going to be a nightmare to keep clean over time. Bear in mind all the photos you’ve seen of it looking great are probably taken five minutes after it was finished and before it was ever walked on or washed.

Shaun G likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m also not a pro tiler but….. for floor tiles, especially if your considering a light colour grout, then look up ‘epoxy grout’

Will stay a whole lot cleaner than usual, cheaper, cement based grout - worth a consideration for sure

Shaun G likes this.
  4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm, if you are thinking of using epoxy grout for the first time I would practice first on some scrap pieces. Haven't used it for a very long time, but have used it and it was tricky. Make sure it doesn't stain your tiles in any way.

Personally I would use grey ordinary grout.

Shaun G likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Give ARDEX a call and get one of their sample sets - around 30 different colours including around 10 variations on Grey from just away from white to nearly black.

Shaun G likes this.
  6. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Anybody seen black tiles with black grout? Could be an option but might look odd?

7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

You will be!
    Cando

Shaun G likes this.
  8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Shaun G likes this.