Black paint on garden furniture

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by robgul, May 11, 2021.

1. robgul

robgul Active Member

I'm refurbishing 4 "cafe" chairs* - new wooden seat slats (to be left as natural finish) and painting the steel frames with Hammerite Black Smooth.

The single backrest slats are curved so rather than remake they have been stripped and undercoated. I want to paint them black but only need about half a coffee mug full of paint at most - and I have no other prospect of using the remainder of a 750ml can of exterior black paint.

So, what's the thinking on using the black Hammerite Smooth over the undercoat? I also have a can of Sandtex Black Masonry paint . . .

All suggestions appreciated

* think Parisian pavement cafe chairs

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Contact Sadolin and get a free sample size of Sadolin Superdec satin.....Oh! No undercoat required though....is the undercoat oil or water base?

3. robgul

robgul Active Member

The backrests have just had 2 coats of water-based undercoat - previous paint was, by the look of it, Hammerite which had then been overpainted with Japlac style enamel . . . I had a good go with paint stripper and sanding but couldn't get back to any sort of presentable wood - hence the plan to paint them black to co-ordinate with the steel frames. The seat slats are using left-over Thermowood from some cladding I've don in the garden . . . cut to strips with a round-over edge on all faces - they look pretty good.