Black worktop’s have white line along joint

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Paulie bobs, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Paulie bobs

Paulie bobs New Member

B2972E34-15F6-404C-ADB3-39A3AE63A93C.jpeg 3ACF4BA1-F25E-4771-8648-0BEB37C268B8.jpeg 5D275591-1E75-4402-BE89-B0CCA5B58CBF.jpeg [L CF088BAE-BF37-4D4E-8B0E-A7D75A40E6B9.jpeg Have just had worktop’s replaced in kitchen due to flood damage and where the joints meet there is a very visible white line across the length of the joints (see photos) now these are the exact same worktop’s as previous and the joints were invisible, it actually looks a lot worse than the photos.Would you accept this ? I was looking for some advice before I confront the fitter

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

No, a terrible joint, if the worktops are routed perpendicular to the top surface and clamped correctly there is no need to see any jointing compound, as per your previous fitting. Take your fitter down to any kitchen show room and let him see what a joint should look like.

Paulie bobs likes this.
  3. Paulie bobs

Paulie bobs New Member

Do you think he’s used jointing compound?
    Shouldn’t it be same/similar colour to worktop ? There’s a film on surface across joints that doesn’t show up on photos, maybe pva or superglue

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The joints in there own right look very good. What i can't understand and get my head around is the white line. It makes no sense to me. Even if the fitter had used something as crappy as Colorfill, the joint would not have a white line.
    Have you asked the fitter what he/she used ?

5. Paulie bobs

Paulie bobs New Member

No I’ve not seen/spoke to him yet as I was waiting for some answers on here so he doesn’t try to fob me off.Yes I agree with you the joint looks okay, flush with no gaps and no lipping just that damn white line!

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Tell him something like this is what you expected Screenshot_20221011-214844.png

Paulie bobs likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As dopey a question as this is, have they just literally been replaced today and you’ve not had chance to wipe a damp cloth over it?

Paulie bobs likes this.
  8. Max22

Max22 Member

My guess would be that he has run a file across the finished cut to remove any burring, and if it’s a low quality laminate, it doesn’t take much to take the colour off the edge

9. Yes i would go with the fact the fitter has run a file or sandpaper down to smooth the edges as max22 said. but sadly it must have a white base before the colour and stands out more being a dark top.

Paulie bobs likes this.
  10. Paulie bobs

Paulie bobs New Member

Yes that’s what the previous join looked like
    so I’m assuming the fitter has done a poor job as I’ve said in earlier post the previous joins were practically invisible

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

As above, it could be the quality of the work top.

12. Paulie bobs

Paulie bobs New Member

I don’t think it’s the quality of the worktop it’s the exact same as previous (only 14 months old) and there was no issues with previous joints

13. Kitfit

Kitfit Member

Blunt cutter

Paulie bobs likes this.
  14. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Could be that the joint was not cut at a perfect 90 degrees, so it's 'leaning out' very slightly at the top.

I guess it depends how perfect you want it.

Colorfil would probably make it look much better but it's a compromise that shouldn't really be necessary.

Paulie bobs likes this.