bleaching wood

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by nino@diy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. nino@diy

nino@diy New Member

have a new fireplace surround (honey maple),have a solid cherry framed mirror to possibly match,any tips on toneing down the cherry to match the maple, heard i could bleach the cherry!

2. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Bleaching wood is not really a practical proposition for the amateur and even if you did you would never the wood to match completely. Why not let the two woods sit side by side, not everything has to match.

3. nino@diy

nino@diy New Member

thats a thing thats always bugged me , should i try to match it ,an never twite made it, whitch makes it worse or just go for a contrasting colour!!

4. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

contrast is good:D

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

even if you get them matching exactly they will both age
    differently and eventually may become quite different in
    tone

i agree with woodsmith bit of variety

big all

6. taffy

taffy New Member

steradent mind you you will need a big glass to put the fire place in. no steradent works couple of tabs in a glass bush on and leave.

7. mc_hammer_action

mc_hammer_action New Member

nino, I think you're mistaken to try this too, but if you have to, make sure you use the two part bleach from a pro supplier like richardbarry.co.uk Use a manky old brush and be prepared for disaster..
    MC

8. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Thanks mc, I just thought I would point out to anyone interested in bleaching wood you can not use ordinary household bleach, very bad.

9. taffy

taffy New Member

use the stredent all the time on new pine to give kitchen doors the scrubbed english kitchen look customers love it and PAY for it

10. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

taffy seeing as how you are so keen on Steradent(2 posts) I have taken my brave pills and am willing to give it a go:)

So I need some details;

How strong a mix?
    How long do you leave it?
    Do you neutralise it?
    What do you finish it with?
    Do I need to soak it overnight in a glass tumbler on my bedside cabinet?

Thanks

Keith

11. taffy

taffy New Member

o.k. one large tube of stery tabs one large glass water mix together apply with paint brush and scrub in with small scrubbing brush leave to dry and wash off with water.tones down pine about 2 colours.big but have not tried on hard wood. the local wood restorer give me the recipe a few years ago so he must use it on hard woods.cherry dakens with age so you might be doing it again in a few years weeks days do not know any way they are only about a quid a tube got nothing to loose have you

12. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Thanks taffy only problem now is buying it, Mrs W won't get it for me so I have to go and get it myself; it's a bit like buying condoms when you are 14;) only now I have to pretend I am not that old:D

13. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Buying condoms at 14 was to proove to your mates how grown up you were.
    They were put away somewhere safe where mum wouldn't find them & were well past their use by date before you actually used them.

14. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Nope we used to fill them with water and....people would get so upset. But the truth was we were so innocent we didn't know what they were actually for.

15. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The funniesst use I saw for them was when someone who used to work night shift had been put on days.
    He got to work one morning to find a condom filled with about 5 gallons of suds tied to his milling machine.
    This was just one of the decorations left for him.
    The condom was sitting on a few cleaning rags but was surrounded by steel swarf.
    At the 1st touch the swarf burst the condom & 5 gallons of soluble oil & water went everywhere.

16. taffy

taffy New Member

ask your mum this is going to get a few re-plys