Bleed through in door linings?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TheAMP, May 9, 2021.

1. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Hi,

First post on here, but stumped as to what I may have done wrong, we recently stripped all of our old gloss door linings back to bare wood, used knotting solution, followed by Zinsser 123 (2 coats) then a dark grey undercoat, then a top coat of Little green paint (all water based) allowed drying time between each and lightly sanded between the Primer and Undercoats. The images below have had 2 coats of top coat, can anyone advise why we may still be getting bleedthrough or what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What did you use to strip the wood?

3. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Heat gun and shave hook to remove all old gloss paint, then further sanded it back to bare

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the wood all sound and dry...any damp within?

5. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Yep all sound and dry, we have another two linings (that are new) that we didn't strip back and they have got the same issue, so unsure whether it may be more to do with what we have put on top rather than the wood itself maybe? I have just got a kitchen towel and wiped the marks which has somewhat removed them (probably temporarily)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like you are correct, may be inclined to use Zinsser BIN as the primer or even Zinsser Cover Stain. They both will take a water base paint over. What brand was the grey undercoat?

7. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Undercoat was Johnstones wood and metal primer/undercoat, okay yeah I wasn't too sure on whether to go the Zinsser BIN route originally, so will try that, how far back would you advise sanding back to? Bare wood? Appreciate the replies

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the Little Greene an Eggshell or Satin.

9. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Little Greene is an eggshell

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It looks like the knotting is showing through in places, next time use BIN for knotting, Little Greene & Co paints are a quality product I have use gallons of the paint over many years, I am tending to point your problem toward the undercoat and advise you buy the Little Greene recommended undercoat for your top coat as they will be best suited, Your work is looking good and worth your effort, unfortunately you have been unlucky.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Preparation is really a case of how far you want to take it, so no real problem stripping the lot off if you feel it needs that to be done.

12. TheAMP

TheAMP New Member

Ok great, will get this ordered and give it a go, thanks for you help on the issue!

Astramax likes this.