Bleeding knotts

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by gordy1, Dec 2, 2018.

1. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi I'm about to repaint our bathroom with bathroom/kitchen emulsion half of the walls have been clad with pine cladding but within the year the knots show through as a yellow stain, is there any treatment for this, I know when you paint on exterior bare wood you apply knotting but I've never had to use it on interior wood before or do I have to, Any one got some suggestions.

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Cover over the knotted areas using Zinsser BIN, Screwfix sell this product, follow the instructions.

gordy1 likes this.
  3. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Thanks Astramax will get a tin tomorrow

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Always treat all knots on wood before painting, doesn’t matter if internal or external, knots will eventually bleed through and discolour paint

Some timber quicker than others, depends partially on age of wood, but why risk it after spending time prepping and painting trims - crazy not to (as you’ve found out)

If you want to wash out brush after using Z BIN, buy some meths as white spirit won’t touch it and it’s cheaper than cellulose thinners

5. Astramax

'Clean spirit' is a good multi use brush cleaner and environmentally friendly.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Is Zinsser BIN cheaper than knotting solution, I presume they're both shellac based?

7. Astramax

Only use BIN myself, not used a dedicated knotting solution for years, BIN is also a primer, odour and stain block and a white pigmented colour which is a bonus.

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Same here.

Knotting solution isn't as good as it used to be. I found that where it has been applied used to show through paint, defeating the object of knotting and the leftovers in the tim separated in no time at all.

The kitchens I am making at the moment are made from recycled pine, the have two coats of Zinnser bin and then two of Johnstones paint all rollered on. They have come out quite well with just enough of the grain to show they are timber but smooth enough to clean easy

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

I still have a jar of knotting solution - produced by Rustins and it is probably 30 years old. Based on meths, it is used occasionally and works every time.