Blinking light - literally

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Barneysmb, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Barneysmb

Barneysmb New Member

Amateur diy'er...

Fitted a Wifi light switch today and ceiling light blinks when on.

Following the already wired working switch, wired as follows

Common ---> to new switch L
    Grey (with brown sleeve) --> N
    Black (with brown sleeve) --> L1

Wifi switch has L, N, L1 only

Tried switching N & L1 around but same.

Is it that all the wires in the existing switch are all live - and actually i have no neutral ?
    Wifi switch won't turn off light but the pull cord ceiling switch still does.

Attached Files:

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

You would think the brown sleeve on the grey and black would be a giveaway as to whether it was a live or a neutral. To answer your question they are all lives, its actually quite rare to find a neutral in a light switch in the UK. It may be more common on new build houses as some sparks are starting wiring them this way now but the majority of electrical installations won't have a neutral at the switch.

We seem to be going backwards in this respect, I'm sure Lightwave switches don't need a neutral and they have been around for years, why are there so many posts on here and elsewhere with people getting caught out with lack of neutrals at switches.

3. Barneysmb

Barneysmb New Member

Thanks, i half suspected due to the brown sleeves but sort of expected a neutral as standard but also see from other posts, this is pretty common now.

I'll take a look at the no-neutral switches and chalk this one upto experience (or lack of it) :)

Thanks for clarifying.

4. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I thing lightwave and energenie both can work without a neutral however not cheap by time you include the hub, I use energenie and with a standard BA22d light or a array of E14 lights it works well, with GU10 have had it flicker when on, and with G9 had to fit a capacitor found CEF stock them. As to Nest Mini working with them it seems to switch it off OK but not back on again.