Block paving on concrete base

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Martin T, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Martin T

Martin T Member

Hi all

I have an old tarmac driveway that I want block paved. Its about 100sqm.

One company that came out today quoted £9000 including all edging and drainage. 10 out of 10 on trust a trader from about 100 reviews.

So he has said he always lays his paving on a concrete base of about 3 inches. I have never heard of this. Did some research and some say yes and some no as always.

The quote seemed ok to me at about £90 per sqm but the base is bothering me. Does it need to? Another quote I had was £17000!!

Thanks

2. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

You would normally only lay the edging blocks on concrete. The infill goes on sharp sand which is normally laid over type subbase or crushed concrete. No reason you couldn't go over tarmac provided the levels work.

Personally I wouldn't care if he had 10,000 TAT reviews: talk to people he has worked for in your area and look at the quality of the work

3. Is he removing the old tarmac drive and laying concrete on top of what’s underneath or going straight on top?
    To me, either way sounds pointless.
    If he lays block paving on top of concrete then theres definitely strength there, but what happens to the water that soaks through the gaps. It’ll just sit on top of the concrete
    I’d get rid of the tarmac so you can see what’s actually underneath, dig out more if necessary or lift your levels, lay your edgings on concrete and fill up with hardcore to correct depths. Lay a minimal sand layer and then your block paving

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

Go get another couple of quotes

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Totally pointless laying blocks on old concrete,would need to sort drainage issues, & tarmac is just as bad, no idea what's under it,give a year & most likely whole lot will start moving,up with the lot,sort levels,edgings, lay 100mm -150mm MOT1 sub base,well compacted,up to 40mm sharp sand,then blocks.