Block paving sinking?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by ben100, Sep 8, 2021.

1. ben100

ben100 Member

Some of my block paving has sunk in an area, it was done quite a while ago so I’m guessing it wasn’t a job done badly just an occurrence over time if I’m correct? I’ve lifted a few blocks so is it just a case of adding some more sand to it?
    63C6A59B-7367-446A-86F9-6660C5C73F06.jpeg 7ED1A0EC-DB02-41E2-9BCC-B26E08AE9891.jpeg ABABEB53-DBA1-491C-8E84-A6D86C3569BA.jpeg 86D8DDD4-69FB-4F12-A5E6-A939B53857C3.jpeg AB487C37-3E7A-49F8-B7DF-38BE2428C08B.jpeg

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is it an area that gets driven over regularly or the car gets parked in this spot ? (Had these issues with mine after several years of being nice and flat)

Whilst the blocks are up, have a little dig through the sand and check the sub base underneath

If any major craters (but doesn’t look that way) then would be best to add some more hardcore and compact that first, before adding sand

If just minor (but annoying dips) then yes, sharp sand, level out to around 5-10mm higher than surrounding blocks

Replace blocks and whack them down with a rubber mallet to consolidate the sharp sand and bring level with surrounding blocks - exactly how much the sand flattens is trial and error

When level, fill in the gaps with dry paving sand and brush in. Another whack with the mallet and top up again with the fine sand

Jobs a goodun !

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

No its a job done badly as you can see all the time in dipped driveways, As already stated lift and relevel with sand. Do the same again in a few years

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

This is one of the biggest advantages of block paving: that you can lift and relay.

Job has to be done right though. Previous know-it-all owner of my daughter's place did his front garden. Mini digger in, 450 of type 1 (Yes 18 inches in old money), blocks laid. They are now out as much as 50mm under a straight edge. He didn't bother with any compaction anywhere.

Another job for dad!!

5. ben100

ben100 Member

No it’s not an area that gets any cars on it at all as this area is in the garden.

I’ll give it a go as you’ve said, is paving sand good for both underneath the blocks & brushing in after when the blocks are put back in?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sharp sand to bed the blocks
    It’s slightly gritty and a mix of particle sizes. This is important as when compacted, it helps lock the sand together and form a firm base

Widely available from builders merchants, BQ, etc, around £2.20 for a 20-25kg sack (it’s also cheaper than the fine paving sand)

You need the fine, dry paving sand to fill gaps between blocks and do this when the blocks and weather are dry so it runs freely between the blocks