Block paving too close to DPC

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Claire12, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Claire12

Claire12 New Member

Hi all

Looking for some suggestions please. We have just had our block paving done and whilst the paving itself is fine they made two errors. The boundary edging is not suitable and they churned up next doors garden and they have paved up to within about 10mm of the DPC, not left 150mm as required by building regs. I believe they did this to level the drive with the door as husband is disabled and to give easier access for him. We’re going to get both corrected and have a plan for the edge but unsure on the DPC situation……

Can the drive stay level at the actual doorway under access legislation? I believe it can? Therefore it really only leaves the section on the left of the door to be resolved as from the right hand side there is a slope and the gap bigger….I’m thinking dig down and have a strip of gravel or fit an aco drain…..any thoughts on either or legislation I need to consider? Photo attached, you can see next doors two brick gap and what we’ve been left with. Thanks from a very stressed and sleep deprived mum.

Attached Files:

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Given what you have said about access it looks like a reasonable job.

Bearing in mind it looks like the finished level drops away to the right hand side of the front door.

Claire12 likes this.
  3. Claire12

Claire12 New Member

Hi Happy Builder

it’s great for us but if it contravenes building regs, could cause rising damp and be an issue in the survey when we come to move then it’s got to be sorted unfortunately.

4. Cris 11

Cris 11 Active Member

Looks nice, personally I would definitely leave it until such time it causes a problem (if it isn't broke don't fix it).
    If you start to see signs of damp or a surveyor points it out (both unlikely) when you sell then you may have to sort it.
    I would then lift a line of blocks closest the wall to left of door and fill with gravel should take about 1 hour.

Claire12 likes this.
  5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Building regs REQUIRE wheel chair access to new builds. An Aco across the wall would be insurance.

ElecCEng and Claire12 like this.
  6. Claire12

Claire12 New Member

Hi Stevie, do you mean our house insurance will be invalid due to how it currently is?

7. Claire12

Claire12 New Member

Thanks Cris

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

No!! Sorry if I scared you. My point was that there is essentially a contradiction in the requirements. 150 clear is the norm, but new builds are required to have wheel chair access.

I would probably have put a section of Aco if it was mine, even if the fall was away from the house, but as Cris says see if it's ok first.

9. Claire12

Claire12 New Member

Oh phew!! Ok I see, that’s interesting, thank you. I’ve got a guy coming to look at sorting the boundary line, so I’ll discuss the drain with him too. The way this is going it would have been cheaper to have done a course in block paving and done it myself ;-)