Block Paving

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Guy, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Guy

Guy Member

I am looking to block pave my drive, but am a little daunted by this task.
    Can anybody give me some good basic tips as to how I prepare the ground and how I actually do a section at a time and keep it all nice and level. Can I make the necessary tools required, or where can I buy them?
    I understand I will need hardcore etc but what depth, or does that depend on the type of ground I have?
    I am not a complete novice when it comes to building, but feel this will be a bit bigger than my usual projects.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. chalky

chalky Member

hi guy, I done mine a couple of months ago and done a blinding job(if do say so myself), like you can put my hands to most things.take a look at this site it helped me alot.
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm

3. Guy

Guy Member

Thanks very much for your reply.
    I will take a look.

Regards

4. Hi guy,

Please see attached basic instructions.

Around the edge of the house where the paving will be joining thia has to be at least 150mm below DPC.

Is the driveway sloping? if yes you will need to install suitable ako drains.

Prep - Dig out the surface (you need to allow 150mm for your type 1, 100mm for your sand + the bricks.

Once dug out, you need to cement in border or edging bricks first. Once these are set you can then start to infill with your type 1, compact this down using a whacker plate, (don't forget drains if need)

You then lay down your washed sharp sand base 60mm throughout the whole area and then whacker this down, you then apply another 25mm spread this as a screed.

Once this is done you can now start laying your blocks.

Once all the blocks are laid, make sure the surface area is completly dry and whacker the whole surface about three times, then brush over kiln dried sand (sweep this into all the joints of the blocks and whacker again.

That is about it.

Good luck

Regards

BTB

5. Guy

Guy Member

Bob, Thanks for your advice.
    Much appreciated.
    Regards