Block Plane and Chipboard

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by problem, Aug 26, 2005.

1. problem

problem New Member

After examining my block plane tonight (LOL), it seems to be extremely blunt (last sharpened at the weekend) its only been used on chipboard, can this harm the blade in anyway?
    PASSY

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

fraid so the grain goes weeeelll every direction at once

same reason that worktop cutters expire so quick

big all

3. problem

problem New Member

oh yeh i never thought about worktop cutters mate, Looks like its getting sharpened in the morning then!
    Cheers b.a
    PASSY

4. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

chipboard cetainly does blunt tools more than proper timber. However I'm not sure the grain has anything to do with it as Al suggests since chipboard doesn't have any grain. I could be wrong but I was always led to believe that it is the resin in the chipboard that takes the edge of saws and chisels etc.

5. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

I was always led
    to believe that it is the resin in the chipboard that
    takes the edge of saws and chisels etc.

..........not to mention all the other rubbish that is included in with the sawdust/woodchips/floor sweepings that are in it ........it's not unusual to see a few sparks flying when you cut it with a circ saw........I never use handtools on chipboard flooring.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok people it is of course a combination off all factors :)mainly as said above adhesive and contaminents in the mix:)

another point worth considering is the quality of iron in the block plane

big all

7. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Well Passy, i put in a word... but theyre stilll not happy with ya matey! looks like youll have to stay in SF a bit longer!

8. problem

problem New Member

Thanks mate, what did they say??

PASSY

9. ebanista

ebanista New Member

10. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Cant say, for want of risking my key. Sorry matey.