Block Plane

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by ChrisM123, Oct 9, 2020.

1. ChrisM123

ChrisM123 Member

Anyone got any recommendations?... Irwin or Draper at SF or Toolstation ... dont mind ordering better if people feel that its worth it?

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I'd go with the Irwin

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I don't carry a bench plane with me any more but do have an Axminster Rider low angle block plane which gets used a lot.

It needed a bit of fettling out of the box and it was expensive by some standards but it's nice to use. I could have spent considerably more as well....

Of the two you've suggested I agree about the Irwin.

4. ChrisM123

ChrisM123 Member

Thanks Gents.

5. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Irwin are decent but needs a bit of work on the blade, old faithful block planes are also decent, again needs work on the blade, my old faithful is my go to for end grain and small shaving jobs, it feels right in the hand compared to the Irwin for me. A good set of sharpening stones go a long way into turning a new plane into a useable plane because factory sharp blades are anything but sharp, same with chisels, blunt as bread out of the box.

6. ChrisM123

ChrisM123 Member

Well I am going to a tool sharpening course in 2 weeks so I will take the brand new tool for sharpening... I want to learn as I currently think I do more blade damage than sharpen it!!

7. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Sharpening is an art, took me a while to learn it as I tended to put more pressure on one side causing an angled edge,took some time to lean how to stop doing that, then there's stropping, I make my own with leather glued to a wood base, use a decent paste and work the blade so you see your face in the cutting edge, nowt beats a good edge to get those wood curls running off or making short work of end grain with a block plane.

8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Guys.
    Over the years I have purchased older wood chisels at boot sales.
    Thinking they maybe better than more modern ones steel wise.
    But I have never got them real sharp like I see guys on TV using theirs.
    I think a bit of reading is now required after reading the previous inputs here.
    Or maybe a visit to youtube on the subject.
    I just have the usual 2 sided stone.
    Is that satisfactory.
    Thanks all for getting my grey matter started on the subject

Johnny M

9. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="
    I think a bit of reading is now required after reading the previous inputs here.
    Or maybe a visit to youtube on the subject.
    I just have the usual 2 sided stone.
    Is that satisfactory.
    Thanks all for getting my grey matter started on the subject
    [/QUOTE]

Have a look on internet or youtube for Paul Sellers, he has some great sharpening guides but be warned, once you view one you will end up viewing the rest of his videos, he is pretty much old school in many ways but to me, that is the best way. I could never sharpen anything without making a hash of it but after watching his videos and a bit of practice, I have mirror finish cutting edges on chisels and the planes I have, a good edge makes the difference between a task and a pleasure.

Hand sharpening can be hard work on worn tools but its helped these days with diamond stones, even cheap ones make short work of dull tools, working up the grades then stropping, leathers best, I got thick scraps from a fabric shop, if you have one locally then see if they have scraps of leather.

A link to one of his sharpening vids:

I also made his oiler can, one of the most useful home made things I ever made, it has so many uses, oiling planes, lubing up saws so they don't jamb and wiping over tools to prevent rusting.

10. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Tuxmark2

Well I have just watched that video.
    As you say he is good at getting the Info over to you,
    Once I have my grit paper I will be fully employed till xmas at least
    Thank you sir

Johnny M

11. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Your very welcome, his videos and guides have helped me a lot over the last few years.

12. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,
    I am just thinking I am 87 next month.
    Why the hell am I sharpening chisels

Johnny M

13. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Look at it this way, its more interesting than bingo, its also good for the chisels :)

On serious note, you don't need to sharpen anything, you can just watch how its done and learn something new, or like what the old TV programs used to do, have something interesting to watch.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Because it's a dying art in today's throwaway society, it's strangely therapeutic and relaxing when done in conjunction with the radio and several cups of tea and it's also good to be able to use the newly honed edge to open a tin of paint when finished.

15. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Have you been peeking in my workshop.

Johnny M

16. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

That's exactly why and how I do it, except its coffee, a few hours with the radio on, mind focused on one task. I do it on regular basis so the tools are ready for use when I need them. So many things these days are thrown away so its nice to say you have had something's for years, or if your lucky and inherit tools like I have, the no4 plane and squares you where given. However it can become and addiction and before you know it, you have a tool for everything, then need a bigger shed and bigger shelving.

As for opening tins of paint, I never let anyone use a good chisel for that, it seems my best screwdrivers do that job.

Jord86 likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

When my grandfather died ten years ago I was going through his old tools and stuff in his garage, sorting stuff out, keeping some tools (amongst other vocations his main one in years after the war was a coal miner) and getting shot of thirty year old paint tins, wallpaper paste tubs etc, I opened the cupboard doors to his decorating stuff and hidden away under the mouldy sandpaper were three original wooden handled Joseph Marples firmer chisels, all with their edges chipped and blunted as my old man had been using them to lever tins of paint open for years. Honestly, if he hadn't already pegged it I would have cheerfully strangled him anyway. I've never actually got around to resharpening them, as they're wooden handled they're no real use to me until I get my workshop sorted out and something always seems to take precedence over doing them. Sentimental value though is huge.

Tuxmark2 likes this.
  18. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Chisels and paint tins seem to go hand in hand for some reason, one day for revenge I will prise open a paint tin with the wife's best dressmaking scissors and see how she likes it !

I inherited few old tools, a few wood handled chisels, pliers and this old no 4 plane that was a rusted pretty badly, a few hours work to clean it up and work flat the sole and a bit of love to the blade and I ended up with this after stropping, I don't think its worth working it on 1800 grit to give it a real mirror because a few cuts will remove the finish, as it is, it glides through the work.

plane edge.jpg

The old faithful block planes edge is a lot better, more polished bit I don't have a picture of it. I have another Stanley no 4 plane, picked it up from a job lot of old tools, it had the original iron blade that I dropped and chipped it badly, it was beyond help so I got another blade and ground the bust one down in to a cabinet scraper, waste not and all that.

Jord86 likes this.
  19. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

20. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr Rusty, Another tool my addiction tells me I need :D

The oldest tool I have is an old railway tapping hammer, an old bench vice that still in use, next its probably the no4 plane closely followed by a Stanley plough plane along with an unusual adjustable wrench, everything else dates from the mid sixties to present day.