Blocked radiator pipes?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fooey, Oct 23, 2017.

1. fooey

fooey New Member

Hiya,
    Been living in my current property for 18 months now and for the past year or so, I had closed the hot water valves on a number of radiators towards the front of the house. As it's getting cold now, I went to open them and found that the radiators remained cold even when the heating is on. I felt the pipes under the radiators and they are not warm. I guess this means there must be a block/several blocks in the pipes? Other radiators in the house which I used frequently get hot.
    What's the best way to deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

The affected radiators, are they controlled by thermostatic rad valves ? If so, the activating pin might have got stuck, and with a pair of pliers and some WD40 you might get them to work . https://i.ytimg.com/vi/csp6JIW8ck0/hqdefault.jpg The top cap will unscrew by hand, and the actuating pin can now be seen.

3. fooey

fooey New Member

Hey Tricky,

Two of the three radiators are TRV controlled. Removing the valves and pressing/pulling on the pin has fixed them! The other radiator has a traditional twist control. Any ideas how to tackle that one? Thanks very much for your reply.

4. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

The valve on the third rad ,if it has a plastic wheel , should be turned fully anti clockwise until it stops ,to open it fully. If you have done that and the rad won't heat up ,try bleeding it of air using the bleed valve at the top of rad. If it still won't heat up it could be that the plastic wheel head of your valve is snapped inside and is not rotating the metal shaft below. Remove the wheel head and turn the shaft with a spanner or grips.

5. fooey

fooey New Member

Hi Terry,

I turned the heating on and bled the radiator at the top but the water coming out was pretty cold. I made sure both taps at the bottom were all the way anti-clockwise. I then tried to do the same with the tap bottom left of the radiator but again the water was cold - this was after having left the heating on for 30 mins.

Here's a pic of the radiator.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

6. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

That last radiator could be airlocked,run the heating system and turn off all hot radiators.

Hopefully the air will be forced out. Worth a try and its free :D

7. terrymac

terrymac Active Member

As Teach says above ,but only use the thermostatic rad valve to turn off the rads ,don't touch the other valves at the other end of each rad.

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  8. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

Yup - whenever you open (or close) a lockshield valve, you should first note its exact position - close it off counting the number of whole and part turns. Write this down and leave it beside the valve for ref - that's where you should return it to when finished).

If Teach's idea doesn't work, then fully shut off both valves and open the bleed screw a good amount - the water should stop flowing after a few seconds (any initial flow is from stored pressure within the rad itself).

Ok, open one valve a good amount - note how fast the water jets out the bleed screw. Shut that first one and open t'other - compare the two.

Report back.

(You have a drain cock on the LH valve - have you tried opening that? Does water flow out rapidly (you might want to stick a hose on it...)?

9. fooey

fooey New Member

I did as Teach suggested and now all radiators are working, genus!

Thanks very much guys for your time and help.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend !

KIAB likes this.
  10. fooey

fooey New Member

Just to follow up here...
    That day I had closed all the valves of the working radiators and left the cold radiator valves open - that resulted in all the cold radiators becoming hot. I then opened the valves of the radiators I had closed and all radiators were hot.

Since then, I've kept all radiator values open (on the one side) and those three radiators are still having issues. I'm sure that if I closed the valves of the working radiators, the cold ones would get hot again...

Does anyone know what's happening?

Thanks

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

It sounds like your system may need balancing. There should be plenty of information about that if you google it (other search engines are available).

12. fooey

fooey New Member

Thanks balancing the radiators more or less did the trick - all but one of the radiators are hot, that single radiator is warm - i can live with that for now. A bit more jiggery pokery might fix that but it's fine for now.

I found this video useful :