Blocked shower drain

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay459, May 20, 2018.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Never had an issue with shower before, new build house, only in it 3 years. Always clean shower drain when water starts to fill tray.

But this time shower is filling up pretty quickly and drain trap is spotless.

What is next best thing to do, should i just put bleach or drain cleaner down it or something else?

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Do you know where the pipe travels and where it terminates to?
    Got to check that first, in case it is just to a blocked gulley, for example.
    My concern is with new builds that the waste pipe has been installed without a proper fall, or/and not supported, clipped. That would mean it will sag and begin to block plus airlock.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If not a blocked gully, then you could try some Mr Muscle Drain Unblocker, might be lucky & it works.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Or a sag in a pipe that fills with hair ...

Had this previously on a bath and a flexi rod followed my cleaner was needed to shift it.

Heat likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a drain snake, might shift any blockage.

Heat likes this.
  6. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Should I be looking in the inspection chamber in the driveway, or gully's like the one under my outdoor tap. It blocked up some time ago but I would have though the gully under outdoor tap would have angthing to do with shower waste pipe.

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Hard for us to answer that without viewing the house.
    Can you see any small waste pipes (about 40mm wide) anywhere outside? Or does your wastes run inside, perhaps boxed in and maybe soil pipe coming from higher floor, (if you have more than one floor level) ?

8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Yes there is the 4 inch soil pipe from upstairs toilet, and three 2 inch pipes coming out of gable wall where toilet, and inspection chamber in driveway in line with it. And inspection chamber is cracked open. Must get a new one