Blocking up window over doorway

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Jun 14, 2019.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all have an old council house where glass pane in over door look.

Thinking of boarding over etc. Want to replace the arcs also.

Not sure wether to plant timber on or trim above door way back. Anyone done this x

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Put up a photo.:)

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Called a storey light.

Unless you want to get it plastered its tough to get an jnvisible join.

Problem is the frame for the door and light usually went in as one so the framing for the light is flush with the plaster finish.

What i tend to do is cut the frame back below the surface with a multitool and then board the glazed area with 9mm green Mdf flush with the plaster and then 2 pack filler the point the mdf meets the plaster.

Awkward job.

Stick some celotex or rockwool where the glass is (usually no need to take glass out) as it can be a bit like a drum!

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Happy to replaster it attach a timber 9mm back and multi tool on to that? Thanks for the info

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The timber is just for the multi tool to sit on a neat cut

Attached Files:

6. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

That emoji makes me think you meant hang a photo over the door?

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Also called a 'borrowed light'

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

In certain circumstances they look really good.

9. choppy111

choppy111 Member

I wouldnt touch the frame at all. I would cut a board so it fits inside the frame up against the glazing bead, so you screw or pin your board into the glazing bead. Make sure the boards thickness wont come proud of the frame, 9-12mm board will do. You want a lip from the face of the board and the edge of the frame otherwise it will crack once painted.

10. choppy111

choppy111 Member

if you dont mind getting it skimmed then what goldenboy said is the way to go, but use plasterboard

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not leave the glass in place and either paint or wallpaper over it to match the walls ?

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I also want to have coving around to modernise the bathroom and is kind of in the way

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

But if you do that you will have original plaster finish butting up against timber frame butting up against new board surely?

It will be a very obvious interaction. If you trim the frame back you get new board meeting old plaster finish. Done right that will be much less obvious.

tore81 likes this.
  14. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Bear in mind that the windows have a purpose. They are to light dark areas, so they let light ( say ) from a bright bedroom in to a dark hallway.

It's actually a pretty difficult job. The main problem you will get is messing with the frame may compromise it, so you have to be prepared to replace it if things go wrong. I mean I normally remove the architrave, chisel off a quarter of an inch of the frame that will be lost under plaster, inset pieces of plasterboard over the glass ( Leaving the glass in place ) then plaster over the lot, cut the architrave down to fit the smaller doorway. It's a lot of work to get rid of them, but having said that they are pretty awful so I can see why you want to.

tore81 likes this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m diy and done three of these at my sisters house (ok, just three in my lifetime so not saying I’m a world renowned expert)

Removed glass, cut frame, replaced head, battened opening and PB both sides, set back approx 3mm from wall, ready for plasterer (that I can’t do), replaced architrave and painted wall and timber

Perfect finish, no sign of there ever being a borrowed light above door

Sorry but this ain’t a difficult job for either a pro or confident diy’er, just basic skills and enlist a plasterer

May have some pictures if I can find later incase anyone doubts my comments (although I wouldn’t really care) and may help the op

Lunch time soon .... Fathers Day...... enjoy dads and hope you all get looked after :)

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am sure it looks great.

But I would want to avoid cutting the entirety of frames out in customers houses wherever I can. Not least because you never know what may be sitting on top, clipped pipes, cables, joined joists etc. I also want to avoid getting a spread in if I can.

Your way I am sure look the business but it is a lot more involved than trimming the frame back and fitting a single piece of board.

I have done so many of these I have lost count. There are a couple of huge estates nearish to me with metric doors, ranch style balustrades, storey lights and squeaky landings! Whilst I could have removed everything and started from scratch everytime, doing it with minimum disruption is better for me. Plus it needs just a bit of insulation and a small bit of board. And next to no waste.

Its a couple of hours work and leaves the customer simply needing to paint the panel.

Same end result but just a different approach.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:mad::mad:

In my house, some numpty had ripped out the original balustrades and replaced it with ranch style. It was changed over very promptly when my wife caught our grandson "fishing" on the landing into the stair well while standing on the top rail :eek:

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Horrid arrangement for stairs.

Often bizarrely they are genuine teak however. I have a little stash in the workshop!

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know it was bizarre. The was a lady on here a few years ago posted about what to replace her "ranch" balustrades. She was going to dump her teak boards then I pointed out about selling them. If I recall she got quite a good return on them that paid for some of the work she needed.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think Mr Wimpey won a teak forest playing cards.