blockwork construction question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Willy Duwitt, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

We had a detached garage which we demolished to ground level so that we could use the bricks on a small extension to the house. We now intend to rebuild the garage, on the original walls, in blockwork and then have it rendered.

So my first question is, what blocks should I be using, dense or medium density? Does it matter which?

Also, I assume the rendering will only come down as far as the DPC, so what should we use from ground level up to DPC, facings, commons or blocks?

Cheers

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Engineering bricks.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. My extension is blockwork and render, the blocks I used on recommendation of a very good builder were Plasmor Aglite, that was about 12 years ago, I don't know it there is anything better these days?

4. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

You can render under the DPC too if you wish.

Stop the render just above the DPC with a bellcast. Then render below the dpc taking care not to bridge it.

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

best to use engineering brick below damp and then step the blocks in about 15mm so the bell drip can sit nice to the bricks

6. ­

­ New Member

Plasmor Aglite are suitable but so are Plasmor Fibolite. Aglite are heavier but slightly cheaper. Both look exactly the same but have a different coloured painted band at the end to identify them once the wrapper has gone.

Aglite are suitable for underground use too and are therefore pretty tough so may be the better bet if you can hack the weight.

Fibolite have better thermal value but this is of little importance in a garage.

Both take render well.

My advice DO NOT USE CELCON/THERMOLITE/DUROX type very lightweight blocks. Prone to cracking and crazing.

7. Cooper Dracon

Cooper Dracon New Member

use Celon/ Thermalite or Durox above DPC and below. no need to render, just pebbledash the lot.

8. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

Many thanks for the replies, chaps. Much appreciated.