Blown PCB

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ding, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ding

Ding Member

I have a 14 yr old gloworm24 cxi combi boiler. The pcb blew the other day so I ordered a refurb from eBay for £40. Swapped them over and all was working until this board blew. The quick blow fuse hasn’t operated as that’s still intact but there’s a new scorch mark on the boiler next to the pcb that wasn’t there before so I assume it’s gone again. Have I just been unlucky and therefore should just but a brand new board or shall I just bite the bullet and get a new boiler which I had planned to do in 18 months or so.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

14 yrs old, wouldn’t be spending much on that

3. Tuxornot

Tuxornot Active Member

This is the junction I am at with our older boiler, no real problems with it yet but when something goes like the pcb I will change the boiler, there's only so much you can throw at things before it becomes a waste of time.

When people on ebay state 'refurb' or 'reconditioned' what they actually mean is they gave it a once over with a dusting brush, unless they have a boiler or test jig to test it then its probably from a junk pile.

As you where considering replacing the boiler with a more modern version, just bring your plans forward, not ideal but saves you chucking good money after bad or having an older boiler fail in the middle of winter.

Vin likes this.
  4. sparko69

sparko69 Active Member

The correct procedure would be to find out why the pcb blew and repair that issue before installing a replacement pcb.
    If you had a puncture in your tyre you wouldn't repair the puncture and leave the nail in the tyre would you?

Squashrobinson likes this.
  5. Ding

Ding Member

There was 240 at the board and as the refurb pcb was only £40 I thought i would give it a go. I assumed that as the quick blow fuse was intact then the old board must of just given up

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Fuse protects rest of the system , faulty component probably taken fuse out

7. quasar9

quasar9 Active Member

The fuse on PCB’s only operate if circuit draws significantly more than its normal operating current. Components can fail without drawing more current, usually going open circuit. Even if they short circuited, they often drag down connected components without impacting the fuse. So buying PCB based on an intact fuse is no guarantee of its quality

8. Ding

Ding Member

The pump has been noisy for a while so I suspect that is the main culprit. Is it worth buying a pump and new pcb or Should I just buy a new boiler.

9. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

when you say blew,what do you mean. something like burnt melted board and components ?

really need a multi meter to check other components to find the cause and verify the external controls are wired correctly.

Choices.

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Either have it professionally checked over unless your good with a multimeter or get a gas safe in to quote for a new boiler. Most are now offering a ten year manufacturers warranty, youll get your system cleaned and brought up to date with the option of modern controls.