Boarded loft with loft legs- ladder question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Alex Sheridan, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Alex Sheridan

Alex Sheridan New Member

Hi all.
    I’m in the process of boarding my loft using loft legs (175mm).

When I get to the loft hatch I’m weighing up my options. The current ladder is attached to the side of the hatch, and lays onto the hatch itself. I will need to essentially raise the ladder fixing point to the height of the boards.

I'm not keen on attaching to the new loft panels as they’re only chipboard, so toying with the idea of using 7x2 timbers all around the hatch to raise to the same height as the loft legs have done.

How would I go about connecting the new timber to the joists below? I don’t have a nail gun, but was toying with the idea of using some longish screws (80mm) and going in at an angle close to the bottom, opposite each other at half a dozen points along each section.

Or, get myself some 225mm screws and go straight down from top to bottom.

Im very much a novice on the DIY scene, in my first house and learning all the time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you frame the 7x2 around the opening on top of the existing ceiling joists by screwing them all together and placing flush with the opening, frame around that then with 3 or 4x2 on flat, screwed to your ceiling joists, then screw your 7x2 frame to the 2x material you’ve just fixed to the joists. Basically a frame within a frame. Doing it this way will help resist thrust off your weight against the 7x2 as you climb the ladder.

WillyEckerslike likes this.