Boarding upstairs ceiling keep or remove furring?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by adamgee, Nov 17, 2021.

1. adamgee

adamgee New Member

Hi,
    I’m planning on removing the fibreboard ceiling tiles throughout my entire upstairs and replace with plasterboard.

I’ve looked in the loft and the fibreboard tiles are fixed onto wooden furring strips that run across the joists. Should I keep or remove the furring strips when fitting the plasterboard?

If I remove the furring strips I think the ceiling will be higher than the brick partition wall between two rooms so there would be a gap between the ceiling and wall, is that normal? I’m planning on fitting coving so it won’t be seen but just seems odd to not have the ceiling edges meet the walls.

If it helps, joists are on 400mm centres, furring strips are wooden and are probably 1”x0.5” on 400mm centres, ceiling tiles are 400mm square.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Can you post some photos showing what you mean, firring strips or pieces are normally large wedges fixed to the top of flat roofs to create a fall.

3. adamgee

adamgee New Member

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the photo below shows what I mean, the ceiling tiles are fixed to the strips, so if I remove the strips the PB ceiling will be fitted to the joists leaving it higher than the top of the wall!

note I mean FURRING and not FIRRING. I did Google that so I may be calling the strips the entirely wrong thing.

Attached Files:

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Doesnt matter, rip them off and board it, either fill the gap at the top of the wall up with sand and cement mortar or bang some expanding foam in there, both will solidify things.

adamgee likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Hire board lifter £50 a week ish. Don't struggle.
    Yeah remove timber as not needed but put some timber to support cross joins in new board so all edges are supported.

adamgee likes this.
  6. adamgee

adamgee New Member

Thanks both for your replies!