Boiler advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Northernlad999, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Northernlad999

Northernlad999 New Member

Hi, I have created a man cave above my garage, and want to central heat it, so I have fitted all the radiators, and I am now ready to buy a boiler and get a qualified person to fit it.

We live in a rural area, and the water supply to the garage is supplied from a natural spring , pressure fluctuates from time to time, as does the flow.

Am I better off getting a heat only boiler or a combi boiler? it needs to be able to do 8 Radiators , 1 sink, and a shower. Or do I need an extra tank to feed the boiler, advice please ?

Hope that makes sense

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

How is rest of the house heated currently ? The 8 rads, 1 sink 1 shower you mention, is this part of man cave ? Most installation these days are sealed system and you won’t need another F&E tank. But you mention erratic water supply too. if the pressure is low, you may have issue filling up the system to 1.5 bar meaning an open system may be better requiring a tank. For the sink and shower, a combi is normally useful but again with low pressure erratic water supply, a (low pressure) hot water tank may be better. There are also issues of siting these tanks.

3. Northernlad999

Thanks for the reply, the 8 rads, 1 sink and 1 shower are all above the garage in the man cave.

The house is 70m away, and heated by an oil fired system ( we will upgrade to gas later this year)

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Have you got roof space above the man cave to put header tanks if required? Is the spring water pumped?

5. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Your main issue, IMHO, is the water supply issue. Both Pressure and flow rate. Let’s see what ideas others have.

6. Northernlad999

The Spring Water is gravity fed, no pump. We can lose water supply altogether when the farm below ours feeds his cows, as the supply gives him priority as it is lower down the hill. yes there is loft space

7. Northernlad999

I was thinking on some kind of tank and pump...