Boiler Comparison Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Derek12345, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

Hi, I need a new boiler but I have no idea what boiler I need. My current boiler is 30kW.

I used a boiler comparison tool on Warmzilla site, just wanted to make sure a 30kW boiler is enough for 13 rads.

Any help appreciated.

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

This would give u an indication, but whoever is installing it should be speccing the boiler for you really. Don’t buy it yourself, it’s a false economy and also many installers wouldnt like to fit parts not supplied by themselves. If you buy it and for example it wasn’t powerful enough and doesn’t heat all the radiators or something in it is damaged it will be your responsibility and not the installers.
    https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/find-a-new-boiler

Derek12345 likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Gas,lpg or oil would help!

Derek12345 and pppmacca43 like this.
  4. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

Yeah, I was thinking a Worcester Bosch. I wouldn't buy it seaprately.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

Sorry, it's gas.

6. jonathanc

well each installer has their own preference as to make. There really isn’t a bad make of boiler either. As long as they are installed properly and maintained then they are all good. People like valiant lots of people like Worcester Bosch ( but I don’t as their older green star has terrible design for the PRV) and I’ve been impressed by vokera.

It’s a bit like new cars these days: they are all pretty good and reliable

pppmacca43 likes this.
  7. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

Vaillant and Worcetser bosch have good Which? scores, Vokera not so much.

8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Find a good engineer and they will each have there own preference and recommendations. Ideally you want one with a long guarantee, I think Worcester for example now offer a 12 year guarantee on one of there boilers if fitted by an approved engineer and fitted with one if there magnetic filters. 10 years on other boilers, and 5 years if fitted by a non approved engineer.

Hopefully whoever you choose will do a good job and they will be hopeful they are the ones you choose to service it each year, so it’s generally in there interest not to recommend rubbish.

Derek12345 likes this.
  9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Valiant, WB, Vissemann are at one end of the scale, Vokera, Biasi, Ravenheat at the other and a good many in between . Naturally the costs reflect this scale. In the past one might have said comparing a Rolls Royce to a Mini but these days Rolls, BMW and Mini’s are the same company, but sadly not true in the boiler world !

Derek12345 likes this.
  10. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

Haha true. There are definitely brands I would avoid but I agree with Jonathan, the gap has closed a bit, most seem to be pretty reliable from what I've read online.

11. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Never fitted one but have heard Vokera are a good budget option. I’d probably go with Worcester. Used to fit a lot of Remehas both domestic and commercial boilers and really liked them, easy to fit, easy to service and work on. I believe they have been bought out by Baxi now tho so not sure what they are like these days.

Derek12345 likes this.
  12. jonathanc

have a vokera LPG here. My gas engineer had never fitted one before but he was impressed, easy to fit and quality pump, everything looked easily accessible too

13. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I actually bought one to fit in my last house, I wanted a cheaper option as wasn’t planning on staying there, it turned up damaged though so sent it back and got a refund. Ended up fitting a Main, a make which I’ve seen a lot of people criticise but I found it very easy to install and it never went wrong once in the 3-4 years I had it.

14. Derek12345

Derek12345 New Member

How long have you had it though? I find the guarantee length is a good indicator of how long the manufacturer thinks the boiler will last.

15. jonathanc

been in a couple of years so far - no issues and to be honest I wouldn't expect them. same company as Riello - oil burners in most boilers

pppmacca43 and Derek12345 like this.
  16. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

30 kw is enough for 13 rads,even if all quite big ones,The average rad in a house is about 1kw,ranging from 500watts to 2.5kw.It’s the domestic hot water that needs consideration,if you want a high litres per minute you may want a high power boiler,but 30kw would give you 10.7 litres per minute at 40 degrees rise.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021