Boiler condensate drain pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tomeng, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

Hi, I've been told by a gas safe engineer that the condensate drain from a combi boiler must only use pipe that has been joined with solvent weld. (I used 22mm barrier pipe and speed-fit elbow, joining into a 40mm waste pipe that has plastic compression fittings). Can anyone give a link to this regulation please? Cheers!

2. As you probably know, condensate is somewhat acidic and doesn't agree with many metals too much (as well as being happy to attack stonework, etc).

So, if any of your 22mm fittings has a metal content - such as a grab-ring - he may well have a point.

But, I am speculating as I don't know for sure.

(There is also the smaller issue of 22mm barrier pipe having a thicker wall so a smaller ID. I cannot see this being an issue for condensate as it is expelled in 'glugs', but it might reduce the effectiveness of, say, an overflow pipe from a storage tank.)

The only issue I can personally see has validity in your situation is if the fittings have a metal content. But, don't take that as gospel.

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

yea, he said it was because of the acidic nature of the liquid.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Your GSR is correct as far as I know. DA mentions the grab rings, which are Stainless steel that may or may not be resistant to the mildly acidic nature of condensate. But you would also need to confirm that the plastic is ok and the rubber seals as well. Which is why we use ABS which is - and is joined by solvent weld.
    Got to ask why you ran it in speedfit? It must be (literally) 10x more expensive that way!

5. Reading betwixt the lines, I see a DIYer who has carried out a boiler install and has then asked a GasSafe to come and commission it... :)

6. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

I already had the pipe. But, yea, the connector was expensive but I only needed one of them.

7. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

spot on ;-) saved myself about £2,000 in labour costs.

8. But now have a pi**ed-off GasSafe who is determined to find fault. :)

Enjoy :D

9. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

I also got him to reduce his price from £200 to £175 (+ extra £10 for some pipe work to make it comply) which I'm guessing didn't help.

10. You reap what you sow. :)

11. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

Probably right. We humans are way too easy to **** off, which inevitably leads to repercussions. Still, my home is warm today, so all's well that ends well.

12. Glad its Friday

You did well to find a GSR to sign it off, I wouldn't these days.
    And got him to reduce the price as well - I hope you paid him cash.........

13. Tomeng

Tomeng New Member

lol, that I did. You'd be surprised, most plumbers I contacted gave me a quote. Of course, some quotes were ridiculously high for the amount of work involved e.g £150 per hour.

14. Glad its Friday

But maybe not so high considering the risk he was taking if there is a problem.
    Anyway, I'm sure he'll put the job through his books for HMRC...........

koolpc likes this.
  15. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Put a pic up of your monstrosity. I can only imagine the quality of work if the condensate is done in 22mm "'cos you had some left over".

Either that or your just on a wind up.

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Oh dear....

Did you solder with the gas meter still connected? A gas meter can take a house down? It only takes a mix of 5-15% gas in air inside that meter, then when you apply the blow lamp... flash back & boom.

How did the flue analysis go? Or did you just hope you have a room sealed appliance?

Obviously you checked the WI pressure of the meter then appliance WI, then gas rate to make sure your within the 5% +/- tolerance, or did you just create your very own "At Risk" appliance.

The reason not to use anything other than what is stated by the manufacturers and building regulations. I believe that is of PVC material. The 3-5ph acidity of water produced from combustion is likely untested and therefore not approved. Building regulations Doc H gives the only approved code of practice.

So in addittion to committing a criminal offence, you have proven that your incompetent, inconsiderate to your neighbours mortality and a cowboy at best.

I certainly would not sign off any work other than my own and neither should anyone else, and fitters that do so should be ashamed.