Boiler engineer unable to service boiler due to flue

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Davbison, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Davbison

Davbison New Member

Hi there, I’d be grateful is someone could offer a professional opinion.

I moved into my current property last year and this week arranged to have the boiler serviced.

The gas engineer came and within 5 minutes announced that he couldn’t complete the service because of two reasons.

The boiler is in a single storey utility room which is part of an extension built in 2013. The flue for the boiler runs through the ceiling and the pipe is on the roof.

1) He said that the flue would need some supports adding to it minimise the risk of it becoming dislodged if it’s windy.

2) because the flue runs through the ceiling he was unable to visually inspect the pipe. In order to complete a service I’d need to add a inspection hatch in the ceiling.

I was a bit suprised by this as shortly before we bought the house the boiler was serviced by British Gas. The paperwork (which I have a copy of) does not mention either of the issues mentioned by this gas engineer and the service was completed without any issues.

Does anyone know if the rules or regulations have changed in the last year or so? The engineer left me no paperwork following his visit and today I’ve had an email from the company to say that the boiler is ‘at risk’ and can fit the flue supports at a cost of £95, but there’s no mention of installing the flue hatch.

I’m keen to make sure that the boiler is safe and can pass its service, but can’t help but feel the experience I’ve had with the gas engineer feels a bit suspect given that the boiler has been installed less then 10 years ago and has had no issues passing a service by British Gas. I just want to make sure the concerns he’s raised are valid before I take any further action.

I’ve attached a couple of photos for added context. Any advice or help would be most welcome!

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If he couldn't see ,what is probably a couple of feet ,of the flue then he can't be in a position to satisfy himself of its condition, and quite rightly so.
    Neither ,of course ,would any other engineer.
    Do you want an engineer who wants to be fully satisfied that your installation is safe ,or are you happy to have others that ,on the face of it, haven't bothered too much ?

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

terrymac likes this.
  4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Active Member

It may sound unnecessary but at least the engineer is ensuring a thorough inspection is carried out.
    Recently the end of our flue was found to have a large internal hole due to corrosion, but from the ground it looked fine.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Access for a visual inspection is an issue with every flue installation. It is not possible to inspect the section of flue that passes through a cavity wall, you can't fit a hatch on that to see it. If engineers are required to inspect the flue, they should have included in the test kit, an endoscope type camera that can be inserted either from the outlet end or from the boiler end of the flue duct. If corrosion is such an issue with boiler flues perhaps it is time for the manufacturers to construct the flue from a non corroding material, stainless steel inner and a plastic outer. This engineer has identified an issue for the manufactures and the test specifiers to address.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

With my boiler fitted recently the installer said that a boiler service should include an emissions type test of the flue gasses (similar to a probe used in testing a cars emissions up it's exhaust) .
    Is this correct?

7. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yes, it's called a Flue Gas Analyser to check the combustion process in the boiler is correct.

Tilt likes this.
  8. Davbison

Davbison New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like the concerns raised seem justified so I’ll take the advice to get a flue hatch installed and get the flue supports fitted.