Boiler Feed Tank Leaking

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Rob100, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Rob100

Rob100 New Member

F16AC73B-4525-4CFE-B2DC-D4B92B687236.jpeg E171CB1A-BD9F-4681-A216-404DE3B118BB.jpeg 83C68AB1-BCAE-4A2C-83C7-ECACA0FA4569.jpeg
    Hi All,
    I have an ongoing issue where my boiler feed tank is leaking, short of replacing the tank is there anything I can use to seal up the hole.
    On a separate note, I’ve had one plumber in suggesting it’s because I have a boiler that is too powerful for my gravity fed heating system. I currently have a greenstar Worcester Bosch boiler for some reason can’t find the pressure booster. Been advised to get rid of the tanks in the loft and have the filling loop installed next to the boiler?. Does this make sense and how much would a job like this cost?

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Should be easy enough to glue a piece of plastic (similar type) over the hole if it is a smallish hole. Possibly 2 part glue required.
    You may need to drain a little water first so the area is dry before gluing.

Water level is higher than it should really be I think.

3. Rob100

Rob100 New Member

Do you reckon I could use builders putty to close the hole. Also the copper pipe near the outlet tap is leaking can I avoid replacing it and just solder it?

4. With the issues you have and looking at the state of the tank, it looks like you need to replace the tank tbh and sort the leaking pipe out at the same time. simple enough job (depending on your skillset) would probably take an hour or two to do for a plumber. As for having a filling loop installed your best bet is to ask the plumber who suggested it for a price to do the work as its difficult to give an accurate price without seeing what it entails in person.

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Hmm. You can do what you like. As to whether it will be a solution to your problems, who knows...........

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Drill the hole round and fit a bolt with 2 washes and a nut with sealant.