Boiler Flue regulations?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by I-Man, Jul 29, 2020.

1. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi All

Having a new boiler fitted in my detached garage which is partly converted to a utility room. There is an alleyway inbetween the garage and the house.
    The boiler is being fitted so the flue is in the alleyway, but plumber is saying I need to get a vertical flue instead as there needs to be 2m distance between the horizontal flue and the wall. The alleyway width is approx 0.9m.

Is this correct, as not heard of this before?

Thanks.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hes right.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Why would you not of heard
    of it , ur not gas safe

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I've worked on a number of properties, and there have been instances where there are boiler flues in side alleyways.
    I like to pickup info on multiple trades regardless.

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

OK thanks

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It depends on the alleyway.
    There’s restrictions on how it impedes on other people’s boundaries.
    Some restrictions have softened over the years though.
    What boiler manufacturer is it?

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Use a plume control kit to go straight up and over the eaves.

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

It's a Baxi. (The alleyway is mine, so no issue of boundaries).

No matter, will pick up a vertical flue instead.

10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

The garage has a flat roof, so will just swap out the horizontal flue for a vertical one.

11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

just had a thought... can the horizontal not be changed to vertical using 90 degree bends?

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the alleyway isn’t covered over then you may only need 600mm clearance.

Attached Files:

13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Has the operative that mentioned 2m said why ? They have seen the layout and reasoning of 2m.

some online quote calculators (boxt) etc mention 2m although when on site with a tape measure and visual inspecting other interpretation may be possible as mentioned by Mike83

There are many considerations including 'plume nuisance', vertical flue kit's are useful :) and often a way to put the flue installation beyond doubt of the regulation checkers.

baxi are Ok boilers,prefer them over many ;)

14. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi, yes they working onsite so know the area. Possibly the reason being there is the entrance door to the utility room in the alley next to the flue exit, and another side door to the garage on the other side of the flue

15. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Thanks for the info. No it's not covered... (but was considering it in the future, so I guess a vertical flue works out well!)

16. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

yes it does,tbh when the boiler is future safety checked,repaired or even serviced the operative will inspect the termination before touching the boiler. Having the termination beyond doubt gives the repair/service operative more time to to the job they are there for but keep the room that best over looks the flue ready for the operative to enter & view the flue.
    helpful customers are actually appreciated :)

I-Man likes this.
  17. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    my pennys worth,
    there are reasons for the regs, not just being a pain...
    with a concentric flue, the dispersal of the products of combustion, care must be taken not to compromise the quality of the air intake.

if the flus gas mix with air intake, this lowers the O2 level at the burner, so less O2 is more CO, !
    (this is what kills you)

the perfect burn produces, CO2 and 2H2O so any problems with air intake, cause problems. (not enough O's)

good luck
    peter