Boiler leaking after a service

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MBW25, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MBW25

MBW25 New Member

Hi
    I noticed a small leak from the condensate pipe of my Worcester Greenstar 30Si combi boiler recently and called an engineer out to look at it and service the boiler. It was working fine and no leaks from elsewhere. He told me it was from a degraded seal between the inside part of the pipe and where it goes out through the wall to join the outside pipe and put glue on it to fix. He then serviced the boiler. When I came home later in the say, there was a large wet patch under the body of the boiler itself and having put a pot under this, it has since collected about 2 CMS of water, . I heard it gush water briefly once.

I've contacted him but am wondering whether I should let him back at it; he talked loads about what he was doing and why but now I wonder if he really knew what he was doing.

Appreciate any advice .

2. MBW25

MBW25 New Member

Oh - extra point: it's leaking when boiler is on. So far no drop in pressure and seems to be working .

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Have a good look at the auto-purge devices. Some service engineers test their function, sometimes cleaning away any limescale buildup that may cause them to stick and not work correctly. If they were serviced, then they would leak for a short while until all air is fully purged, after which they should seal completely (until the next few bubbles arrive and they need to get rid of them).

4. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

He’s probably dislodged the black condensate rubber pipe that goes between the trap and condensate pipe.

5. MBW25

MBW25 New Member

I've now spoken to him - I told him I'd like him to repair it before paying (it was only yesterday) and he became very aggressive, threatening he'd make me 'pay' much more .He indicated very clearly that he didn't mean through legal means .I've paid him and told him I don't want him in my house again .Feel really frightened .

Is it possible for me to check the points you've raised above or will I need to get another engineer out? How do I get a good one? Thus gguy was from an accredited site.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

"He indicated very clearly that he didn't mean through legal means". If he made the sort of threats that made you feel frightened and if you raised the issue in a civilised and reasonable fashion report him to the police.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

You must of got him through Check a Trade or any of them bodge services

8. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Think the Police call it 'obtaining money by menace'.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

If the leak is from further up were the trap connects to the underside of the boiler then this needs more immediate attention.
    Can you look from underneath and pinpoint the leak

10. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

Always two sides to a story. I'm guessing the OP rang up and told the engineer he/ she wasn't paying unless he came back and sorted it out rather than "asking" the engineer for advice and to come back to look at the problem.

I might be wrong though

Muzungu likes this.
  11. penguinman

penguinman Member

If it only leaks when boiler is running and no drop of pressure it's almost certainly condense, did he remove the trap to clean if so there is a particular version that you would need to fit a new o ring and use plenty of molycote to lube and connects to the sump directly otherwise leaky leaky, I presume this is the older si and not the compact.

12. MBW25

MBW25 New Member

Told him the very next day that I wasn't happy paying given that the boiler is now in a worse state than when we started. The o ly reason I hadn't already paid was because he was an hour late coming and that made me late for an appointment so I was going to pay him when I got home and then found he'd broken it .

13. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

He’s maybe removed the trap to clean it so that’s good that he’s done that as lots of people don’t bother.
    He’s probably then refitted the trap and serviced the boiler. It’s then taken a while for the trap to refill (he maybe should have filled it manually) so the leak wouldn’t have been obvious whilst he was there.

Maybe just an unfortunate situation.

14. MBW25

MBW25 New Member

Many thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate it .
    I'm attaching photos of where the leaksl coming out; I can't work out how to remove the cover . This k for my own peace of mind I want another engineer to check it but any info you can offer will help me look knowledgeable when I find one.
    Ta again

15. dcox

dcox Active Member

It’s likely to be something simple that needs reseating or reconnecting properly after it was dismantled and cleaned - probably the condense trap - than something he’s broken. These things happen occasionally but I’m surprised he’s not prepared to at least go back and have a look.

I wouldn’t suggest you remove the cover. Try and see if the leak is from the white plastic pipe itself under the boiler or if it’s coming from higher up.

16. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

MISSING THE POINT
    if ou have been bullied take him on bullies are cowards crush him tack him to court send him to prison we are all hear to help each other Not to act like this fire with fire as turning the other never works