Boiler not turning off with thermostat

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Help17, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Help17

Help17 New Member

Really needing some help. Forgive me, I may not use the correct terminology but here goes!
    I have a Potterton Promax Combi boiler which will not turn off using Siemens RDH10RF wireless thermostat.
    The receiver and the room unit have been correctly paired and all relevant lightsindicating connection is fine.
    When turning the dial on the room unit it shows the arrow calling for heat and thereceiver acknowledges the call for heat but I'm not convinced it's actually doing anything. The house gets very hot and when I turn down the thermostat again all relevant lights are flashing on the receiver but it does not turn off the boiler toregulate the selected temperature.
    The boiler is in a bedroom cupboard andalso connected as well as the Siemens RCR10/433 receiver is a HorstmannCentaurpluss C11 programmer.
    Could the programmer/timer be overridingthe wireless thermostat?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Looks like an error during install,get the installer back.

Its not diy although it could be made to work (ask the repair agent for receipt for compliance reasons)

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Seems an odd setup, The programmer is set to off, so the heating should never come on at all.

The thermostat switch should be in series with the heating switch on the controller, so it needs both to be closed to fire the boiler. You would still need the time clock unless you plan to turn down the thermostat every night to force the heating off.

But from what you have said and assuming you did not switch the controller to off. If the heating comes on just with the thermostat it's wired wrong.

As a side note, did a professional installer just walk out and leave those two cables hanging from the controllers to the boiler?

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

It would be a help to see the wiring inside the clock and thermostat base.
    regulations do apply but many forget :(

5. Help17

Help17 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Firstly....yes this is how they left the wires.
    We moved into the property 8 years ago and the old boiler was connected to the programmer/timer that you can see in the photographs but there was never any thermostat to control the temperature so we had the Siemens wireless thermostat installed (very badly it now appears).
    We have always had to manually control the programmer and physically switch to off/Auto/all day etc. The thermostat was fitted about two years ago and I honestly dont think it’s ever actually controlled anything. I’ve since spoken to and shown someone in the trade who I trust (didn’t know them when I had this one fitted) and they basically say the same that the set up looks wrong so he’s coming to look at it properly. I think I’m just going to have the current set up taken out and a new wireless programmable thermostat fitted.