Boiler Replacement Flu Size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Vin, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Member

When you guys remove an old boiler with a square or rectangular flu opening in the brickwork how do you deal with the hole that's left which is obviously too big for a modern round flu?

Assuming you are mounting a new boiler in the same place do you brick up the excess or is there some kind of adapter plate you can buy?

2. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

The opening is filled in with traditional building products,brick,block etc. The inside is plastered and the outside made good to match the existing finish ie same bricks,render,pebble dash etc.

There is an adaptor plate on the market,search for ' balanced flue to fan flue conversion kit ' its suitable for some gas boilers but comes with a few installer caveat's.

3. Vin

Vin Member

Thanks for that Teach, I was only really wondering because I thought it must be difficult for an installer to do a boiler swap in a day if he had to wait for mortar to harden etc.

I had a combi fitted a few years ago but it was in a new location so the old flu could be bricked up at a later date.