Boiler Servicing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hull, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Hull

Hull New Member

Warranty on my boiler has just expired. Have been looking into boiler servicing contracts, but i hear on average, theyre not the best value and its better just to get one-off services and hope repair work is rare (particularly with young boilers).
    How long can you leave it before you should start servicing your boiler? straight from year one??
    How often should i flush my central heating system?? yearly??

Any experienced advice appreciated.

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

my opinion is, save the boiler service fee, (60/80) and when it breaks down have it fixed with the money you saved,
    many will argue this point, they will be the people who service boilers for a living,

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I service boilers as part of what i do and I have to say Tom is spot on as usual.

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

As a professional I would not deviate from HSE and mfr guidance which is almost always to have an annual service. To advise otherwise may put individuals in a pickle were an accident to occur.

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

forgot to mention scaremongery is also part of the service mans sales pitch.

6. chris roast

chris roast Member

i service many boilers every year, but my own boiler a room sealed baxi solo, i have not serviced in 5 years and still going strong,

7. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

I had my GlowWorm serviced after it's first year and the guy who did the job - from GlowWorm, and who had an identical boiler himself - said not to bother having it done again for a few years. He hadn't even serviced his own for the past 3 years...

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm#faq1

Go against that and mfrs recommendations if you wish.... There's people on here want recourse that their towel rad is rusty after years......

I don't pressure customers to have a service because a lot of what is said here is true. But you open yourself up to claims of professional negligence if you ADVISE otherwise.

9. souperman

souperman New Member

Yea, and those folk who didn't bother registering their vaillants, and not having them serviced, ending up with knackered boilers. I bet they were glad of TPs advice

10. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

The original concept of annual servicing was for open flued boilers, which did need an annual clean etc due to the dirt that would be drawn into the boiler during its operation, but modern condensing boilers are very clean boilers, with pre-mix burners etc the dirt issue has gone, in Europe they do not service their boilers annually and the makes of boilers I service only require an analyser annually, as long as the readings are within a certain % of the manufacturers requirements and if you have the information the previous years results, then that is as far as you go, if however the readings are out then further servicing would be required, but every four years the boiler is stripped and seals etc replaced regardless.
    This is simply a case of the UK not moving forward with maintenance of boilers with the new clean burning boilers we currently have on the market.