Boiler timing issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KevinMK, Apr 16, 2018.

1. KevinMK

KevinMK New Member

Hi guys,

I have some problem with my Boiler. The hot water would be boiled all the time. I have set the HW/CH to run from 6am-8am and 4pm-9pm; and set the timer to run as 'timed'. The heating is working properly but the hot water would be boiled when the water in Cylinder is cooling down even at midnight. From yesterday, the hot water will run even when I set the timer to 'off' for HW. I have the Potterton EP2002 programmer.

Could this be the problem of the programmer or some problem with the hot water system, e.g. the hot water pump, or any other censor?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

2. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I've seen the diverter valve get stuck because is bust and rather switching from heating the radiators to heating hot water it's stuck half way feeding both. Put the heating on and it's continually heating water.

3. KevinMK

KevinMK New Member

Many thanks Wayners for your help. The issue I have is no matter the heating is on or not, the water is being heated; it won't stop following the timer programmer unless I turned the power off. Thanks in advance for your further advice.

4. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Emersion heater is on then.. You have an electrical coil heating the hot water tank.find the switch and switch off. Follow the cable that comes out the top of hot water tank that should go to a switch. Turn off. Guess someone knocked it on. You have 2 ways to heat water. Boiler and emersion heater.

5. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

An invention inspired by that well known group
    Emersion, Lake and Palmer

PhilSo ( corny but harmless)

HomeAutomation likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Haha. Yeah.. Emersion =Immersion..i knew what I ment even if the rest of the world didn't.

PhilSo likes this.
  7. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

We did!

8. KevinMK

KevinMK New Member

Thanks for the update. It’s not from the electrical coil and I heard the boiler is burning. I got a guy coming and told it’s the problem of the diverter valve; same as you said earlier. Will give a try hopefully it ticks the box. Cheers.

9. KevinMK

KevinMK New Member

Hi Wayners. The plumber came to replace the 2 port motorized valve yesterday. Good news was the Hot Water won't be running always. But the circulating pump keeps running now. At both the zone valves for Hot Water and Central Heating were close. The only way to turn off the pump is to switch off the power of the boiler or break down the boiler. The plumber couldn't identify the issue... Do you have any idea?
    Many thanks again.

10. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Trace the pump wiring back and see where its connected. Is it correct and looking OK? Is it connected to a heating pump relay? That may need replacing as stuck on. Remember it's live so don't go poking around with power on