boiler tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kev9295, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kev9295

kev9295 New Member

Hi,

I have a vaillant turbomax 242 boiler approximately 10 years old. I recently had boiler serviced and it has just started tripping RCD when hot water or heating is switched on. Prior to annual service, it was working fine but don't know if this is a coincidence or not.

Boiler will fire up when switched on, however, it trips RCD switch in fuse box after a few minutes. The boiler then needs switching off before resetting the RCD switch.

Corgi registered plumber has been out to look at it since but is absolutely baffled as all the main parts of the boiler are working fine.

The electric supply into the boiler have also been checked by an electrician and is working fine.

Any ideas?

2. chris73

chris73 New Member

there`s a fair few things to trip the rcd ,first thing to check is the pump , valves , gas valve , if you`ve had a gas engineer out and he`s lost ,try calling an experienced one , will be a pain but not a hard job.

chris

3. silversurfer$$

silversurfer$$ New Member

Sounds like what ever is causing the short is having to warm up slightly first, once it has been on and tripped will it then trip immediately when switched back on if so then, the easiest route would be to disconnect each part until the short is located, i would start with the pump and fan first they are the most likely suspects as my guess would be a short on the windings. I would not think this had anything to do with the service.

You could also check the resistance readings on the fan and pump when cold and then after the short has occurred ( power off)

cheers

j

4. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Has the Polarity at the boiler been checked? Is there any other appliance or equipment doing it also? Has the Polarity of all the boiler's components been checked.

If none of that cures it, I'd go with 'silversurfer', he's always 'on the money' and is a valuable member here.
    For anyone that installs or repairs boilers, read his posts & learn!!