Bolt cutters not working

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by TheJay, May 6, 2024.

1. TheJay

TheJay Member

I have some bolt cutters and I don't understand why they aren't working. The only thing I can see is that it looks like a bolt might be missing in one place?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HEYHOLETSGO

HEYHOLETSGO Active Member

Are they fron the Isle of Aldi?

3. TheJay

TheJay Member

Nope, Screwfix.

4. HEYHOLETSGO

HEYHOLETSGO Active Member

That's why Record 18" bolt cutters are about £120!!

5. TheJay

TheJay Member

I appreciate they aren't £120.00. That doesn't answer the question though, there must be a way/easy fix.

6. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

I'm not familiar with compound bolt cutters-I have the simple type.
    However, your bolt cutters do not work.
    There is a screw and washer missing.
    The screw and washer were put there for a reason.
    Did you try fitting a replacement screw and washer to see if that might solve the issue? It does seem that might be the logical first step.
    Also, the screw that remains appears to be considerably looser than it ought to be. Try tightening that 5 or 6 turns.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  7. RegB

RegB Active Member

Oh, for goodness' sake.

8. TheJay

TheJay Member

I don't know what's wrong with wanting to fix tools when they aren't working properly. I don't know what size or type (tensile) I need for the missing screw.

So here's a much bigger set of bolt cutters, the jaws are not aligned. How are they adjusted? If I need to replace any of these bolts, what size and material would they be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HarryL1234

HarryL1234 Screwfix Select

It’s almost certainly going to be a metric bolt - I would do trial and error if you have any bolts to hand. As a starter, I would try an M8 bolt to see if it fits.

10. HarryL1234

Does it work? I suspect a bit of misalignment isn’t going to stop it cutting.

11. TheJay

TheJay Member

Okay, will do.

12. TheJay

TheJay Member

I tried an M8 bolt and it wouldn't cut it, it kind of warped it but wasn't cut enough to be able to bend it by hand.

13. HarryL1234

This is in your smaller bolt cutter?

14. TheJay

TheJay Member

Nope, the big ones.

15. HarryL1234

OK, my suggestion was to try to repair the smaller cutters!

WildCat likes this.
  16. dray

dray Screwfix Select

I may have lost the plot with this one but I think he meant you try that bolt in the hole as a repair not try to cut it!

Timbo66 and HarryL1234 like this.
  17. RegB

RegB Active Member

You'll have to look at them carefully. Get the strap set off and see if the straps are worn, which may indicate other problems. If not, put them back on and adjust them. I doubt you'll get replacement bolts, they will probably be UNF or even BSF and will almost certainly be bespoke, so be careful undoing them, make sure you have the right spanner. Photos as you go would be of interest.