Bonding plaster inside cupboard - can I seal and paint without finishing plaster coat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Paul45, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Paul45

Paul45 New Member

Hi all,

I've had the interor of an old built in cupboard (think it was the airing cupboard a long time ago) repaired as the plaster was v crumbly. A plasterer stripped it back and replastered with bonding plaster and has left it with.a very smooth finish.

Now I have a choice. I can get the plasterer back in to apply a coat of finishing plaster before I paint, or I'm tempted to just seal the bonding plaster with a PVA solution or something similar then apply lining paper and paint over.

As its the inside of a cupboard in my spare room I'm really not looking for aesthetic perfection and could do with saving some money, but will my plan to seal it and use lining paper bring any risk of quicker deterioration of the new bonding plaster?

Thank all

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Do NOT use pva to seal, so much grief, just give it a mist coat, matt emulsion (not vinyl matt) dilute with water, as to how much water depends on the paint use, could be 50/50, 60/40,70/30 , some paint is runny,other like cottage cheese.

Give it one coat, then fill & rub down any imperfections, then give it another mist coat.

Without seeing the plaster, the plasterer might have polished it, so it might pay to give the wall a light sand before first mist coat.

3. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

As long as the cupboard is not on an outside wall you should be fine.Bonding should never be used on out side walls because even the slightest bit of damp it will attract it.