Bonding up against wood. When can I remove the wood?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gingertimmins, Jun 4, 2018.

1. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

hi, a bit of my chimney breast render crumbled when prepping the room for renovations.
    Following some advice from a friend of a friend I've propped up some wood inside the fireplace and I'm using bonding to build up the layers against it. It's looking convincing so far but I'm not sure when to remove the wood. When it's dry? Would all of my hard work not stick to the wood and fall off?

Chris

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remove the wood once the plaster has dried, it shouldn't be a problem to remove the wood.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Just tap the wood lightly with a hammer first to break the bond if there is any.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good point.........tap not whack!

5. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So it’s inside the chimney breast ?

Do you have a fire / wood burner fitted ?

You’ve used bonding plaster ?

Is this the finished surface ?

:eek:

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stop worrying, it's a pizza oven, worst would be 18 minutes @ gas Mk6:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  8. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

It's more of he front of the breast really.
    It's an open chimney but we're considering closing it up so the fireplace would be decorative rather than functional.
    It's not the finished surface, I'm just trying to get as much done myself before getting it skimmed.

Here's a pic if you wanna check it out

Attached Files:

Astramax likes this.
  9. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

The wood on the left is what I'm building up against

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good man;)

11. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Do I detect sarcasm? I know it's perhaps not how a pro would do it but I ain't pro, just doing what I can!

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wasn't sarcasm at all, was just saying well done as someone else was having a pop at you for what materials you had used:mad:, Wont advise in future if you are sensitive to praise!o_O

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for the clarification - sounded like it was inside the chimney breast (or maybe the way I interpreted it)

Fully understand ur doing as much prep as possible, getting ready for the plasterer and hopefully reducing ur costs

Is it an outside wall though?

If yes, some would say cement render should have been applied (looks like that’s what’s there originally), instead of bonding, and then skimmed

Just that bonding coat on an outside wall can/may attract damp

Not saying for sure, I’m only diy me

Don’t mean to criticise or alarm you with my mutterings :)

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for the clarification - sounded like it was inside the chimney breast (or maybe the way I interpreted it)

Fully understand ur doing as much prep as possible, getting ready for the plasterer and hopefully reducing ur costs

Is it an outside wall though?

If yes, some would say cement render should have been applied (looks like that’s what’s there originally), instead of bonding, and then skimmed

Just that bonding coat on an outside wall can/may attract damp

Not saying for sure, I’m only diy me

Don’t mean to criticise or alarm you with my mutterings :)

15. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Thanks I appreciate it, I'll be honest in that I am learning as I go so I often think that people could easily criticise what I'm doing.
    As for someone having a pop, I couldn't give a shart. The problem with a forum is that there's always mr billy big balls waiting to correct you on the slightest deviation from the norm. Fortunately though there are also helpful peeps like yourself so thanks again astramax!

16. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

It's the adjoining wall with the next door property. Behind that breast would be their hallway so all good.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I really hope that the above comments regarding ‘someone else’ having a pop at materials used, sarcasm and forum Billy Big Balls aren’t aimed at me ?

Not that many contributors to this thread so it’s looking like they may well be aimed my way

I too really couldn’t give a ‘shart’ if they are but, I will just say that in no way is that my intention. Simply not interested in all the petty arguments and name calling that goes on in some previous threads

Yes I’m a frequent user of the forum, both asking questions and also giving, what I consider to be sound advice - all based on my own practical experiences

Any advice I’ve given previousely has been generally well received and not shot down in flames or contradicted

Maybe I misread the opening post. To me, sounded like bonding plaster had been used inside a chimney. ‘If’ that was the case, then I believe that this would have been the wrong product used, due to high temperatures

Even if a pizza oven as suggested (possibly a joke), still the wrong product

Really not interested in point scoring, I don’t have low self esteem, dilusions of grandeur or tiny shrunken testies

Just some honest input which I believe to be sound advice

Have a good evening gents

18. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

Dave, don't worry. The billy big balls comment is about forum users in general who like to correct the smallest of errors. I'm a member of several forums- DIY, music tech, cycling and so on.... on all forums you get those types. You did seem quick to correct without understanding the problem but I see that your intentions were good.

im looking at building a pizza oven in my garden this year. Would you be able to recommend the appropriate materials? I don't want it collapsing like a failed soufflé!